leak!?!?!??

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddy.shadow

Reaction score
Hoakay, Heer we are, meticulously dis assembled carbs and denn (guys at work said looked like a surgical suite) re-assembled;installed[fuel leak] uninstalled, little pen looking tubey thingy in wrong spot. :oops: re-install; run; leak; un-install; accelerator pump not sealed correctly, :blush: fuel tube from fuel pump loose; :beg: I got it now! Re-install annnd it is still leaking looks to be at this point where the #3 carb mounts to the plenum at the fuel crossover underneath :crying: take 'em off again tomorrow an denn??? enny suggestions other than more aiming fluid?

This may sound stupid, but it's not, because I did it myself. Did you happen to put the little rubber o rings that seal the fuel passages between the plenum halves in the right passages? There are two sets of passages, one is real and one is fake and both will except the o ring. The first time I assembled the carbs I put the o ring in the fake passage and it leaked fuel out the real passage, not much but just enough to have to tear it all down again.

You hit the nail on the head fastmover, no more leaks :heat: YAY :music: Took it for a shake down run, It's much better than before, but it's not totally tuned in yet. At least I don't have to take the carbs off again! :yahoo: (8 times since I got the wing!)

Just a small bit of advice to help from taking your carbs off multiple times from leaks. After complete rebuild of the card and proper float levels set included all new o-rings, air cut valves, plenium O-ring etc. Be sure to do a bench test of your carbs before installing them on your machine. A quick check I like to do is set the cards on a level surface and install a fuel line into the fuel entrance of the carbs and fill the line up slowly until the carbs except no more fuel. Be nice and neat so that you don't spill any fuel and then let the carbs sit for about 10 to 15 minutes to ensure that you see no leaks during this bench test. If you happen to see leaks you know that something is wrong and that you must fix it before reinstalling the carbs and then finding out that they need to come out again. Also another bit of advice check the accelerator pump and make sure it is pumping properly ( I have seen many people that skip this step only to wish they had tried it.) Also it is a good idea to do a check on the cv vacuum slides by shooting a steady light stream of air through them to make sure they rise and fall the way they should before finding out they need to come back off again. Don't neglect new o-rings on the intake tubes. Also to insure your carb job doesn't let you down make certain the tank is thoroughly clean and rust free ( I don't find it that hard to remove the tank completely and take it to a heated high pressure car wash and put a good cleaning on it followed up by a good alcohol drying and then a quick WD-40 soaking to keep the rust from coming back. Check that the fuel lines are clean and a new fuel filter and a verified clean working fuel petcock is in place. If you follow these steps you will save yourself a lot of grief from doing your carb job.