Leaking petcock...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayup mine is leaking, about a drop a second. So...what to do? I've done some reading on this subject and there are two camps, the obvious repair/replace folks and the bypass folks. Both make compelling arguments.

The RnR folks believe it's necessary(the petcock that is) to prevent gas from flowing willie-nillie into the engine causing hydrolock IF you have dirty needle valves.

The bypass folks point to the fact the 88 didn't even have one although it was added later after a recall and I couldn't find a single person that claimed their bike ever hydrolocked, but some claimed it took longer to start claiming the bowls went dry even though they are vented already.

Repair kits(two pieces of rubber and a spring) can be had for $17-$25 but they can fail after 2 months according to testimonials. A new petcock can be had for only $127.

What to do?

~O~

I think it is needed, Any idea what fails on the rebuild kits? are they Viton?, what would be cool would be an electric shut off that actuates when the key is turned off. I wouldn't go without some kind of shut off, pressure builds in the heat and you just never know, I usually go out every few days and crack my cap and get a rush of pressure out of it.

It is only a diaphragm tap ( needs vaccum to operate) and a rebuild kit should work fine. Failures when using the repair kit are more likely due to owners skill set :(
You could always convert it to a universal fuel tap if you can have it located within easy reach but I would rather repair the original :yes:

Fuel pump is inside the tank which is above the carbs like all other Wings. I have to wait until next payday to do anything...I'm wondering it could fail causing the flow of fuel to stop. I don't see why a simple on/off valve couldn't be put there in it's place? Sure, I'd have to open the fuel door every time I wanted to ride but that might not be so bad. :headscratch:

~O~

I'm more in the camp of bypass and put a valve inline. Manual or solenoid. Manual you have to open and get to is a nice anti theft feature.

I've been out of this place for some time, and coming back just saw this post; so I want to bring some light into this issue. If mother Honda put it in there may have a good reason for, and while it fails I want to replace or fix it to maintain it to the best factory level I can.
I agree with Ansimp about the repair failure might be due to repairman skills, it's a very delicate thin rubber diaphragm.
In my case I fixed it 2 years ago using a replacement kit bought from WingStuff, and it's running like new, no issues at all.
Mario

Good to hear of a successful repair. I have done the CBR ones without any problems with the repair kits :yes:

Latest posts