Leaking progressive 416 air shocks. Changing seal idea.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handyrandy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering instead of taking the shock off the bike, Why dont I just leave it on the bike when I blow it apart. Just wrap some rags around it. This way since the shock is compressed a little, it will be easier to get the snap ring out, easier to warm the shock with a hair dryer to blow the seal out. Then take it off and reassemble with the new oil and seal.

What do you think?

handyrandy":2zk3zlx2 said:
What do you think?

Sounds like a good idea to me and worth a try.
Just make sure to wrap towels around it to catch all the oil spray.

Pulling the forks isn't too hard and my seals came out with no effort at all. Once the fork is off, it only takes about 10 minutes per fork to change the seals. (No oil spraying to clean up)

mcgovern61":3nu3o7qt said:
Pulling the forks isn't too hard and my seals came out with no effort at all. Once the fork is off, it only takes about 10 minutes per fork to change the seals. (No oil spraying to clean up)
Sorry Randy, I thought this was a thread on changing the seals in the front forks. :oops: :wave:

mcgovern61":36ztz1e3 said:
mcgovern61":36ztz1e3 said:
Sorry Randy, I thought this was a thread on changing the seals in the front forks. :oops: :wave:

Your bike looks a lot like mine only you have real brakes.

handyrandy":2cykct4t said:
Your bike looks a lot like mine only you have real brakes.

Maybe not, what year did they change the brakes?

anyway I got the seals changed holding 50lb air no problems. Have yet to ride it though. Funny thing there was very little oil in the shocks. Just some grey muck on the top on the plastic guide. Could be why the seals failed. wonder what happened to the oil? aren't they supposed to come with oil?

Just blew them apart in the bucket with an air gun. I noticed there was some areas of the chrome that looked a little worn, faint streaks that weren't as shiny as the rest of the chrome. No scoring or scratching though. Wonder if that is just normal wear?

I have oem on my Aspencade ,suddenly they wont pump up anymore. I had the rear end strapped down tight in order to pull forks out of tree. Forks needed seals and allens had been stripped so bad I had to drill. Anyway,I guess I could have blown out the seals when tied down so tight,I guess. How big a deal to change seals in the shocks ? Do I need a spring compressor ?

leanjoe":3ksb5dkx said:
How big a deal to change seals in the shocks ? Do I need a spring compressor ?

This is a link to AApple's writeup on replacing the seals however there is a 5 post minimum to view the Gallery Tech References.
In his writeup he rigged a spring compressor.

I was under the impression early on that my 416s had to be compressed to get the snap ring out. Which is why I thought of using the bike to compress the springs. This was not true because the spring is held by a snap ring further up in side the shock. Don't know about the OEM aspencades.

No,Dont have to compress em to change seal. Also,instead of blowing seal out,just screw a sheet metal screw into the seal and yank it out. Used to do seals on my shovelhead like that. Local Honda shop wanted $16 ea. Found em online for $10.60 ea. Anyway,I have to wait for em now. Air pumps to them but does'nt stay ,the red dash light comes on . Dang. I'm 6'4 and like it to sit higher,been dragging floorboards all over the neighborhood during my "test rides" Ha.

I changed the seals,mine too had very little oil in em. Anyway,Changed the seals and they hold air for about 5 mins. Damn. One was missing the "spring clip" for the guide bushing.I asked the question earlier but nobody replied. Think that they would leak air without it ?

leanjoe":3a9pmrqq said:
I changed the seals,mine too had very little oil in em. Anyway,Changed the seals and they hold air for about 5 mins. Damn. One was missing the "spring clip" for the guide bushing.I asked the question earlier but nobody replied. Think that they would leak air without it ?

I cannot recall a spring clip on the guide bushing. My guide bushing is just a piece of plastic.

Check out the "visual tutorial" under shocks and forks. You'll see all parts laid out.

Changed the seals in mine ,still leaked air so i just went to progressive springs and solved my problem ........... :wave: