leaking valve cover gaskets GL1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donald48

Reaction score
I have leaking valve cover gaskets on my 1983 GL1100I. The oil seems to pool on the bottom of engine, but does not drip to the ground. I replaced them less than 4 months ago. The bolts are tight. They only leak when the engine is running. The bike has less than 40,000 miles. Any suggestions

welcome to CGW donald ...at least you know the oil is getting to the heads okay ......they usealy dont leak there a lot but the oil could be thin and contaminated with gas in the oil if the carbs are not right.....it dosnt sound like its leaking a lot .....id change the oil out and start mixing ATF in the gas to help clean up the carbs as you ride .....about 8oz per tank of gas ....there is only benifits from using ATF .....it may smoke a little at first while its cleaning things up but after some time it will settle down and realy start running good :heat: whew that was a lot on first post .....welcome again

Welcome to the forums Donald.

Agreed what Joedrum said.

The valve covers can be a real bear to get sealed sometimes.
The last set I replaced were on a 1200, same as our 1100's and they drip some.

I'm running old seals on mine. They are still kinda soft but will not seal without using some silicone.
Whenever I put the covers on I first clean the seals and covers really well with dawn dish soap and water using a parts cleaning brush to get everything squeaky clean. Let dry then apply a thin bead of high temp RTV silicone gasket maker into the valve cover groove then install the gasket onto the cover lightly seated. After seal is on the cover then put a thin bead on the gasket mating surface to the head.
Works for me.

A word of caution in case you don't know.
The cover bolts are designed to tighten only down to the shoulder of the bolt so don't try cranking them down tighter to try and stop the leak. The bolts thread into aluminum and could strip or the bolt could break. Either way a headache.

Welcome to the forum and double what Dan said- I just went through that- busting one of the bolts that is. Tighten them to the shoulder on the bolt and no tighter- or you'll be using an EZ Out like me. The bolts are Honda-only items you can't buy them at Lowes or the auto parts store. I ordered new gaskets when I ordered my replacement bolt (from Cheapcycleparts) (only they're not cheap) and I used the same method Dan recommended- Cleaned everything spotless and dry- put black gasket silicone in the cover groove-put in the new gasket- mounted it on the bike finger tight on the bolts- let the silicone set- then tightened the bolts to the bolt shoulders- no leaks so far. Good luck!

Welcome,.......went through the same awhile back and put new gaskets on and still leaked :crying: ,......so I bought the BOLT gaskets (or what ever there called :blush: ) !!!!! Thighted them down and no more leaks! I believe the bolt rubber gromuts and valve gaskets shrink and besides coming hard, causing them not to seal the valve covers properly!!! Later :hi: , Bob

to me it makes sense that the rubber "cones" have hardened and shrunk hence applying less pressure to the cover and gasket causing a poor seal, I put some O rings behind cones between cone and outside washer so the washer applied more pressure to the rubber cone in turn tightening the seal of the gasket, cheap fix, and I would try to replace the rubber cones themselves when you can.

Just be sure it is the cover leaking, Sometimes a leak can originate higher up (Tach cover) and run along the cover gasket.
Clean up and around the covers or cover, ride it till it leaks then take a clean white paper and dab it around, clean oil doesn't show easily so a white paper towel will show it better.