• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking for 78/79 speedo/tach cluster.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pony Ruiz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bike I have been working on for 6 years and finally got running has a defunct speedometer.

If you got one you'd like to sell let me know.

Thanks a bunch!

Pony

Attachments

• IMG_2783.JPG
    IMG_2783.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 135
What seems to be the problem? They aren't all that hard to open and free up. Requires patience, mainly.
Opening:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2gAbn7IY8LI

Just a drop of silicone (very thin) lubricant on the needle bearing disolves the thickened lube and usually fixes it.
Use a couple clamps from Harbor Freight to hold it closed while you re-crimp the ring.

pidjones:

What kind of clamps are you talking about? It is the odometer that is the problem speedo works.
Is that where the needle bearing is? I'll have to look up what a needle bearing looks like :)
I might give it a go. Not finding anything just yet.
I have 2 from 80's bikes but all the wiring hookups are different. I don't have time for that and barely time to take apart a speedo but I might have to.
thanks
I've picked up whole bikes for what some of these are going for on ebay.

Pony Ruiz":1z9m49nv said:
pidjones:

What kind of clamps are you talking about? It is the odometer that is the problem speedo works.
Is that where the needle bearing is? I'll have to look up what a needle bearing looks like :)
I might give it a go. Not finding anything just yet.
I have 2 from 80's bikes but all the wiring hookups are different. I don't have time for that and barely time to take apart a speedo but I might have to.
thanks
I've picked up whole bikes for what some of these are going for on ebay.
Just the cheap small ratchet bar clamps. https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-ratc ... 68974.html If your odometer is the problem, that might require new parts. Sometimes the plastic parts jamb and break. The needle bearing is the bearing that the seedometer needle pivots on (tach is similar). The original lubricant thickens with time.