• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking for 83 GL1100 speed pickup

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godsbluesman

Reaction score
I am looking for a 83 speed pickup. Mine stopped working after I had the tires replaced and it doesn't seem to the be "standard" style that is available on ebay or otther parts links. The cable hold down screw doesn't tighten from the side of the housing, but is part of the cable and screws into the end of the pickup where the cable is inserted.

Any assistance would be greatly appriciated.

thanks

godsbluesman":za4rbe3z said:
I am looking for a 83 speed pickup. Mine stopped working after I had the tires replaced and it doesn't seem to the be "standard" style that is available on ebay or otther parts links. The cable hold down screw doesn't tighten from the side of the housing, but is part of the cable and screws into the end of the pickup where the cable is inserted.

Any assistance would be greatly appriciated.

thanks
hmmmmm.. first silly question comes to mind is... was the rim put back on backwards?????? is the speed drive in the wheel on the side with the speedbox?? it should have 2 ears held in by the seal... also were the bearings replaced?? and was the speed drive removed at that time becaus it had worn sooo bad that id could have been part of the bearing that came off/loose?? mine was so bad it was worse then a piece of aluminium soda can... You have the type of speed box that came on the 82+ vf magnas. and others models.. I may have one from my 82 laying around.. let me check over the next few days.. also take flat tip screw bit and chuck in a reversing drill... insert into the wheel end of the cable and run it in reverse.. have someone check the speedo and it should register about 35 mph.. verifies the cable/speedo are good..

I have verified that the cable-indicator is working with a drill, as well as it did operate for a few weeks after i got it out of the shop. It is also on the correct side. It almost appears to be the style of pickup that goes along with the electronic speedometors, but I have the dial speedo and no converter box in the middle. Just a mechanical cable that goes from pickup to the speedometer. I have been wondering if it possible that the pickup and cable might have been from a different model. :headscratch:

Attachments

• DSCF4043.JPG
    DSCF4043.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 113
mcgovern61":18uph2cd said:
Also, mine is on the left side, not the right as shown in the picture.

I did'nt catch that at first!.
Unless the image got flipped on the computer or camera, the picture shows that the forks are reversed. The brake calipers and the speedo cable are suppose to be on the rearward side of the forks. The cable should be on the left side (left as sitting on the bike)
This would make your speedo cable spin in reverse.

wow dan if you pick that up thats realy good your pretty sharp there guy. ihad to go outside and look at my bike i :thank_you: down to your fantastic observation skills

looks like something i could do after working way to long on the bike sometimes you jus get real dum the longer you go :smilie_happy:

i wouldnt have thought the bike would even go together like that and that is the frist reasoning that could get you in this mess :nea:

im always falling prey to the simple stuff :swoon:

The picture was taken at an angle looking up, so can see why it was thought on the right hand side (when sitting on the bike). But it is on the left. Just needing to know if there is a different style as this has the hold down screw on the cable assembly.. not the side style that you normally see for sale.

thats good godsblueman it sure was funny to think about though . yea it sure looks different than mine . on mine ive got 81 forks,83 wheel, 79 speed grear and was told that it wouldnt work but with shiming and some unshiming i got it all to work .so maybe you can try using another speed gear and get it to work if you got one of the others good luck on it

godsbluesman":365k9dma said:
Just needing to know if there is a different style as this has the hold down screw on the cable assembly.. not the side style that you normally see for sale.

The assembly in the picture is the same as my 83 with one screw on the bottom.

Hmm.. sounds like i may have a correct one on (and also know not to lay on my back and take pictures unless i want to confuse people :shock: )

Most places that want to sell me one that "is for the 83" is a different style. :head bang: Guess i need to do a little more search to find a correct one. :beg: :laptop:

Yeah that is correct as honda started making the switch from the "old" style to this "new" style.. maybe becasue it was easier to get a line on the screw,.. i don't know.. maybe to keep us from running the parters and getting one off the cb-750"s .. but that was the same on my 82 and 84 magnas.. ( be sure and check the drive gear under the seal over the wheel bearing..) just give me a couple of more days to search my shed for my wheels.. I am sure I have one..

Latest posts