loss of voltage going up and down then missing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkhot08

Reaction score
I rode my bike about 75 mi. to day and it went great smooth..... On the way home it did great until say15 mi. from home it started by voltage dropping to 9.7 and up to 12.2 then all over the place , but stayed around 9+ .it was missing bad and i had to down shift to keep it going I finally got into town and just as I pulled up the drive the power just shut off totally and would not come back on .. So being ticked off :evil: I went in and sat down to cool off :beer: . After a while I was doing some yard work and I saw that the lights were on, on the bike . So went over and shut it off and tried to start it but it turned over slowly, and did not start. The battery is brand new this year and the voltage was at 11.7. So I put it on the trickle charger and it says its charged.. I thought I'd ask you guys for any thoughts on the trouble.. :oops:

its probaby the three yellow wires on the sator connector if you have never sodered them together an thrown out the connector if it is you need to take care of that now or youll loose the sator , the connector is in the side cover where the batt is on the left side

from there it goes to another connector up by the regulator.. check these for discoloration also.. also look at the insulation.. should be smooth.. any wrinkling may be signs of wires being hot..check the main fuse.. these have been known to go bad.. it may look connected but check at both ends to make sure... you may have a regulator going out also.. precursor to a statir failure if your not careful... also is stock lighting or has additional lights added??

dan filipi":1kkzn24t said:
The above suggestions are spot on.

I'll add that the main dogbone fuse can be cracked but appear ok, most bypass it with a blade type fuse holder.

This comes up enough that I think we should post two step by step tutorials on soldering the stator wires and how to replace the dog bone fuse holder and make them stickies.

mcgovern61":31ef4xw4 said:
dan filipi":31ef4xw4 said:
The above suggestions are spot on.

I'll add that the main dogbone fuse can be cracked but appear ok, most bypass it with a blade type fuse holder.

This comes up enough that I think we should post two step by step tutorials on soldering the stator wires and how to replace the dog bone fuse holder and make them stickies.

Unless someone else offers I could do that since the parts bike has all the original plugs and fuse never done.

Latest posts