Ltd Question HELP

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALSWINGS

Reaction score
My newly aquired LTD is a little different than my present one . First off the fuel cap has a hose attached to the center of it . Looks like a evap type hose . I am wondering if it a California issued emission system ? It doesn't start, dont have spark to the plugs .

I checked the ECM and it looks like a PBR sensor fault . Would that cause it not to start ?
Also when I try to start it the fuel system light comes on. One more thing !

The supplement manual says PBR sensor. W solid and 0 blinking open circuit shorted signal wire . Now in the fail safe function it states PBL sensor output is used . When PBL sensor is faulty Ne-0thmap is used for both injection and ignition timing.

Question is , is this a TYPO in the manual ? Or does it mean what it says . You guys that have the factory Limited service supplement page 10-6 . Let me know PLEASE What they are talking about . Thanks

Going just from what you've posted it should run. Have you checked for spark and fuel pressure? Someone with more knowledge of stock fuel injection should be along soon.

The PBR and PBL are the intake manifold vacuum (pressure) sensors. They are connected to the right and left side intake manifolds by a T fitting between the tubes. The ECU (computer) uses their data to determine engine load to control ignition timing and injector pulse width - which determines fuel flow. The ECU is programmed with a fail-safe mode that should allow the engine to run - poorly - if the sensors fail. Check the vacuum hoses, they tend to dry rot after 30 years.

The fuel system light should come on when the ignition switch is turned on, and the fuel pump should run for a second or so. I wish my memory was better on this... I don't think your non-spark is fuel system related. Cam or crank position sensor failure will cause no spark, but not any of the FI sensors...again, if memory serves!

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=156204#p156204:ruvmodc6 said:
Steve83 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:31 pm[/url]":ruvmodc6]
The PBR and PBL are the intake manifold vacuum (pressure) sensors. They are connected to the right and left side intake manifolds by a T fitting between the tubes. The ECU (computer) uses their data to determine engine load to control ignition timing and injector pulse width - which determines fuel flow. The ECU is programmed with a fail-safe mode that should allow the engine to run - poorly - if the sensors fail. Check the vacuum hoses, they tend to dry rot after 30 years.

The fuel system light should come on when the ignition switch is turned on, and the fuel pump should run for a second or so. I wish my memory was better on this... I don't think your non-spark is fuel system related. Cam or crank position sensor failure will cause no spark, but not any of the FI sensors...again, if memory serves!

Yes Steve you're right the vacuum hoses are indeed dry rotted . I will change them next trip to the parts store . I changed the PBR and now I have no lights ( code set ) at the ECM and the fuel light don't come on anymore . I am going to perform more pinpoint test as per the manual and check for bad wires .

I pulled apart a lot of connectors to check for corossion and tightness . I have spare parts to throw at it as a last resort . Thanks for your help so far :thanks:

Found the problem . t was the pulse generator in the front . Honda discontinued the exact part but I was able to adapt one from the carbed engine. It runs like a top . Thanks to all

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=162426#p162426:12463t9j said:
slabghost » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:23 pm[/url]":12463t9j]
Probably vent got plugged and PO put a hose in to fix it.

No No it's a California bike and that is a evap hose. Cali has a strickter emission standard. everything has to have smog control of some sort even lawn mowers (LOL)

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=162427#p162427:1oi5ww46 said:
ALSWINGS » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:27 pm[/url]":1oi5ww46]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=162426#p162426:1oi5ww46 said:
slabghost » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:23 pm[/url]":1oi5ww46]
Probably vent got plugged and PO put a hose in to fix it.

No No it's a California bike and that is a evap hose. Cali has a strickter emission standard. everything has to have smog control of some sort even lawn mowers (LOL)

Which is why I live here in pothole paradise and drive very old vehicles. :hihihi:

Glad you got it sorted out, :good: known good, spare parts, are priceless to have around, with ignition at the top of my list! :salute:

Latest posts