Mans best friend.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddy.shadow

Reaction score
A week and 4 days ago, I had to take my 14 year old Malamutt (play on words, she was a husky mixed mutt) to the Vet to be sent on. She had developed fast acting diabetes which caused her pancreas to fail. We got her as a 6 week old runt puppy when we lived in a 2 bedroom trailer with me and the wife and 2 kids and 2 cats. The kids were 8 and 2 and they started to petition me to get a puppy. We were in a trailer park, so fences were not allowed, and the trailer was a 14x70 so we were already a bit cramped. Well, then the dog accessories started to show up and the kids informed me that they had already picked her out and I got the honor of naming her. Well I said , "her name is damn dog." they asked why I would name their beloved pup that and i said "It's what I'm going to be calling her the rest of her life anyway." We named her Toesy rosey, Just toes for short cause she was jet black with little white toes. I tried to not like the dog and made it clear whenever she was near me, that only made her more determined to win me over and she did. We became nearly inseparable and it was truly devastating to be looking into her big brown eyes and feel her last heart beat. That's all I have to say about that except that on the way home from the Vets my wife and daughter and I stopped at the shelter and rescued a little pomeranian/spitz mix. We have named him Barkley Donaldson ( the forward from the blades in the movie Slapshot).

Attachments

• Toes and Jax 1996 or7 001.jpg
    Toes and Jax 1996 or7 001.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 289
  • 09-02-12_154.jpg
    09-02-12_154.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 295
  • 13-02-12_070-2.jpg
    13-02-12_070-2.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 294
Pretty good story, we get attached to these silly animals, I love dogs, not much for cats though, I bet it really hurt to see the family all sad by the loss of your pet, especially the little one's, you can feel their pain, not much you can really do about it, getting another pet is the smartest idea I think, it will surely get your mind off the other pup that passed away, we rescued our dog from a shelter too, her name is Baley...

Losing a pet is hard, especially if they've been in the family for very long. I rescued Bogie(named after Humphrey Bogart) from the shop I was working at in '97. The mother had the litter on a cold and raining December day, and then died 2 weeks later. I took him home and Mama bottle fed him. He's now 80 pounds, and old, deaf, and half blind. I dread the day I have to let him go...
Good for you that you got someone else to help fill the void left by "Toes"... :good:

bogiea.jpg

I remember bringing you home. You were so small and cuddly with your tiny paws and soft fur.

You bounced around the room with eyes flashing and ears flopping. Once in awhile, you'd let out a little yelp just to let me know that this was your territory.

Making a mess of the house and chewing on everything in sight became a passion, and when I scolded you, you just put your head down and looked up at me with those innocent eyes, as if to say, "I'm sorry, but I'll do it again as soon as you're not watching."

As you got older, you protected me by looking out the window and barking at everyone who walked by. When I had a tough day at work, you would be waiting for me with your tail wagging, just to say, "Welcome home. I missed you." You never had a bad day and I could always count on you to be there for me.

When I sat down to read the paper and watch TV, you would hop on my lap, looking for attention. You never asked for anything more than to have me pat your head so you could go to sleep with your head over my leg.

As you got older, you moved around more slowly. Then, one day, old age finally took its toll and you couldn't stand on those wobbly legs anymore. I knelt down and patted you lying there, trying to make you young again. You just looked up at me as if to say that you were old and tired and that after all these years of not asking for anything, you had to ask me for one favor.

With tears in my eyes, I drove you one last time to the vet. One last time you were lying next to me. For some strange reason, you were able to stand up in the animal hospital; perhaps it was your sense of pride.

As the vet led you away, you stopped for an instant, turned your head and looked at me as if to say,
"Thank you for taking care of me."

I thought, "No.... thank you for taking care of me."

Yep...losing a pet is tough, but I always think about what a loving and spoiled life they had with our family. We lost our 14 year old cocker spaniel named Valentine, and it was really rough on my wife and daughter. We still have Nikki, which I refer to as my white shadow. She is always following me around.

Attachments

• sony pics 031.JPG
    sony pics 031.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 272
What's really hard is this, you know the animal is going to pass in 14 years or so yet we get them anyway, they cost like hell to take them in to Vet. it seems like I complain alot about that but, our Baley asks to go outside and tells us when she's hungry, she will climb up on us if we are sitting on the sofa and she will climb as high as she can on our chest and stand there on us, it's funny and we love her for it..I dread the day we have to put her down..

I am really sorry for your loss Paddy. shadow. It is damn tough. I have a sidekick..Dina and I am especially attached to her. My wife is a little less attached as she is my dog...Kit is waiting until she retires or we are living closer together before she gets another....

We recently had to send our DD on to her maker. Yes DD was short for DamnDog. She was wifey's birthday cat. Honestly we were looking for a kitten and there were none to be found. A friends cocker spaniel had a litter under their front porch. The kids dug her out and wifey "settled" for her. We nursed her through flea attacks and a bad bout of Parvo. She was with us 15 years and had developed bleeding tumors on her body that we couldn't treat. We still have 5 rejects here with us. My boxer is getting old and gray now. We took her in because the previous owners had gotten her too aggressive to handle. She's a big lovebug now.

Paddy, I feel your pain & am sorry for your loss. Never a good thing to lose such a friend, companion.
AApple, No better words could be spoken about a pet. Thank you.
One thing about a dog & cat are. Not like a human where they get pissed @ ya, divorce you, whatever. They are there for you 24/7 giving you their unconditional love

Toby. We save him from the Humane. He was a discarded 12 year cat we felt sorry for. Who would adopt a 12 year old cat. Turned out to be a wonderful addition to our family. We would come home & he would greet us & sit & tell us a story of how his day went. We lost him, it will be 2 years ago this first day of spring.
Shortly after that we saved a kitten that was bound to the Humane. Wife named her Abby

See if I can get through this next one without a tear.

Runt. I picked her out of a pile of kittens in a dairy Barn. The smallest, Tinyiest one of the pile. Honestly I didn't think this lil ball of fur in the palm of my hand would survive. I fed her & she gobbled it down like it was her first & last meal. Then I gave her a bath to get rid of the barn smell & I thought she was going to die!
Runt was my buddy. She got me through Divorce & a lot of other stuff. She stayed small. Had one batch of kittens, only 2 kittens. What I miss most about Runt is since my wife came in the picture she would always come up on out chests when we went to bed @ night & would "kiss" us good night. Runt's been gone 11 months now. When I took her to the vet for the final time I almost passed out.
A couple months later I found myself in the Humane. I wasn't looking for a cat. Yet I walked in & walked over to to one cat. never looking @ any others. That is the cat I now have. I felt like Runt did one final act by steering me to to Her. Her name is Nipper.
Both Runt & Toby were 15.

Abby,
GEDC0593.jpg

Nipper,
GEDC0691.jpg

Its never easy to lose pet. Yet its threads like this that make us look back @ the good times we had with them & be grateful for the time we had with them. And the time they gave us.

Sorry about your loss of a friend.I had to have my black lab,BIG GOERGE,put down last year and it was a hard time.
We have since gotten a new dog,and my wife and youngest are happy with her but for me goerge can not be replaced.The new one is just a dog.

After seeing the pic of "Nipper", I had to show this one...Mama took this the other day. Just walked in the kitchen and found them both up there... BAD KITTIES! :heat:
varmits2.jpg

:smilie_happy:

DSC03682.JPG

Not much we wouldn't do for our pets
DSC00615.JPG

They sleep wherever they want
ebay bulbs 011.jpg

DSC01045.JPG

but they eat out of our hands

That's one tuff day when you have to have your animal friends put down.
Had to do it several times, and it never gets any easier.
I miss them all, but I do not forget the fun times we had when they where here with us.

I feel that anyone that has ever owned a pet, get a free pass to the Heavens when it's time for them to pass on..I did say I had a Cat, we call it Minnie, sweet little beast, I like her just not like the dog,... I hate the meowing all the time..and nose in the middle of the night..

I miss my dogs more than my mother! My oldest girl is sick now. No vet time available. She could give lessons on motherhood. She willingly nursed a bunch of kittens. I sure hope a change of diet gets her well enough to stay a while longer.

Know the feeling well! :crying: Miss all my dogs more than the bitch that bore me!!! :roll: :smilie_happy:

Latest posts