Michigan revokes helmet law today.Cant wait for the insurance increase.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goldwinger1984":323eynhk said:
Sidewinder":323eynhk said:
I wear a helmet when riding because there's practically no downside to it and plenty of potential fatal results to verify that.

There are also a number of accidents/deaths that have occured directly as a result of wearing a helmet. Heads torn off at the neck by the helmet strap when the helmet catches on an immovable object and the body keeps going. Heat exhaustion due to the helmet retaining heat and causing blurred vision and/or unconsciousness. Restricted peripheral vision causing helmet wearer to miss seeing an oncoming vehicle. Visor becoming dirty or fogged up causing limited vision leading to an accident and there's more but I think you get the idea.

(that will only offer them limited protection)

What the heck is with that anyway? :shock:

If the head catchs an immoveable object you are still dead.

I own several helmets and all are ventelated,and keep the sun off my nogin.

No restricted vision on any modern helmet that I am aware of.

Dirty visor,dirty sunglasses,dirty windshield,bugs in the eyes,whats the differance.

I have smacked my head on the ground from a thirty MPH crash and that limited protection probably saved my life.Left quit a mark on the helmet but did not crack though.

People against helmet laws are just rebelling against laws.Create a law to make you wear leather and the same folks will protest that,and burn the same leather they parade around in so prowdly now. :head bang:

LEATHER LAWS SUCK
MY SKIN MY CHOICE :party:

Tory":3par2dls said:
Goldwinger1984":3par2dls said:
Sidewinder":3par2dls said:
I wear a helmet when riding because there's practically no downside to it and plenty of potential fatal results to verify that.

There are also a number of accidents/deaths that have occured directly as a result of wearing a helmet. Heads torn off at the neck by the helmet strap when the helmet catches on an immovable object and the body keeps going. Heat exhaustion due to the helmet retaining heat and causing blurred vision and/or unconsciousness. Restricted peripheral vision causing helmet wearer to miss seeing an oncoming vehicle. Visor becoming dirty or fogged up causing limited vision leading to an accident and there's more but I think you get the idea.

(that will only offer them limited protection)

What the heck is with that anyway? :shock:

If the head catchs an immoveable object you are still dead.

I own several helmets and all are ventelated,and keep the sun off my nogin.

No restricted vision on any modern helmet that I am aware of.

Dirty visor,dirty sunglasses,dirty windshield,bugs in the eyes,whats the differance.

I have smacked my head on the ground from a thirty MPH crash and that limited protection probably saved my life.Left quit a mark on the helmet but did not crack though.

People against helmet laws are just rebelling against laws.Create a law to make you wear leather and the same folks will protest that,and burn the same leather they parade around in so prowdly now. :head bang:

LEATHER LAWS SUCK
MY SKIN MY CHOICE :party:

I could show you pictures of the damage that helmets have cause to heads of dead riders, yet, the riders would have survived if they were not wearing helmets, but they are too gruesome and innapropriate, so I will never share them, but, the main point that I am trying to make is that if riding a motorcycle is so dangerous then why not teach people how to ride them properly. It is not the helmet laws that piss me off so much, instead it is the fact that most people think that they are safe on a bike because they are wearing a helmet yet they ignore the basic fact that they do not know how to properly drive a motorcycle and that is precisely what makes biking so unsafe. I'd rather see all bike riders invest in good driver training than invest in an expensive helmet because the quality driver training will keep them far safer on the road that any helmet ever could.

Years ago when I was doing home-healthcare on my first gold wing, the "Spaghetti Bowl" I-15 US-95 interchange was in the process of being rebuilt. I drove over/under this thing 6-8 times a day crisscrossing the valley seeing patients. One day as I approached the unfinished overpass under construction above me I saw to my horror a very large construction bolt flying straight at me from 4 stories high. There was no time to change lanes. In a split second I could tell the bolt was going to clear my windshield but still hit me someplace between my throat and groin. I leaned forward and point the top of my full face helmet straight at the killer projectile. I got lucky and the bolt hit my helmet dead center only forcing it straight down. The blow was a lot harder than I expected, but I didn't lose control. The next morning and for days afterward my neck was a bit sore but I was OK. To this day I wonder how the bolt launched and where it went after it hit me.

I really think it would have killed me...

~O~

Goldwinger1984":oqooy71e said:
Sidewinder":oqooy71e said:

Not doubting your statement but was unable to find any case with a quick google search of head being torn off because the victim was wearing a helmet. With the violence in any accident i'm sure that somewhere, sometime that has occurred but Here's one fact that can be easily cited. 2007 63% of bike fatalities were people not wearing helmets. The rest is just a stretch if you ask me. I actually painted the inside of my visor to trim back some of the light and the peripheral exceeds my capability and I can see my ears. :roll:

If you let you visor get so dirty so as to lead you into an accident It ain't the helmets fault. Heard all that and it just don't hold water. The heat business is sort of like having sense enough to come in out of the rain isn't it.

Hey, I said I was opposed to a law. Let the process of natural selection run its course. I stand by my statement. No helmet = Not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Laws to protect you from yourself = Not a legitimate duty of government. :eek:k:

Some people just need laws to keep themselves safe I guess and they will settle for that. I'm more the type that does better with good common sense to keep me safe.

There is no arguing with personal preference issues like this because it's kind of like arguing about what kind of beer or sex is better for each one of us so it becomes an impossible scenario since each person is going to think exactly what they please no matter what anyone tells them and leaves it up to a government to direct their actions and we all know how highly the government thinks of each and every one of us.

Omega Man":89x8weuy said:
Years ago when I was doing home-healthcare on my first gold wing, the "Spaghetti Bowl" I-15 US-95 interchange was in the process of being rebuilt. I drove over/under this thing 6-8 times a day crisscrossing the valley seeing patients. One day as I approached the unfinished overpass under construction above me I saw to my horror a very large construction bolt flying straight at me from 4 stories high. There was no time to change lanes. In a split second I could tell the bolt was going to clear my windshield but still hit me someplace between my throat and groin. I leaned forward and point the top of my full face helmet straight at the killer projectile. I got lucky and the bolt hit my helmet dead center only forcing it straight down. The blow was a lot harder than I expected, but I didn't lose control. The next morning and for days afterward my neck was a bit sore but I was OK. To this day I wonder how the bolt launched and where it went after it hit me.

I really think it would have killed me...

~O~

Score: 1 for helmet .... 0 for head being ripped off by chin strap.

Just to remark on the stat that in 2007 63% of fatalities were not wearing helmets.

This has to be one of the worst stats you could ever pick for your argument. The above statement pretty much says that in motorcycle fatalities, that half of the deaths were wearing helmets and the other half were not. That statement alone shows that your chances of survival don't really increase by wearing a helmet !!!!

That being said, I do wear a helmet almost 100 percent of the time, and I do believe as far as preventing head injury I am sure it will help a lot. The problem is its not going to keep a rider from breaking their neck or dieing from impact. Motorcycling truly is a hobby where to really be safe is not to ride at all. All the safety equipment in the world is not going to save someone from an unexpected road hazard, cell phone car driver, or a deer running out and t-boning you. It is an unsafe hobby and arguing helmet laws is such a small part of the true danger of riding that it is really just debating for debates sake. I love motorcycling, but I as some one who has ridden for the last 25 years I feel its the most unsafe hobby that is still legal to do.

Jerry Seinfeld has a comedy bit on the foolishness of man for inventing the helmet to begin with. He talks about how man is too dumb to realize that instead of inventing the helmet he should have taken that time and energy and invested into a different hobby/occupation. He goes on to describe that in skydiving, the helmet is wearing the person for protection!

To each their own,
Respectfully,
Mickster

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

How come you guys can't see the point I am trying to make here. It's not the use or non use of the helmet, nor the law that is the issue. It is the poor training given to motorcycle drivers that I am concerned about.

I know far too many bikers that do not know how to use their brake, too many that have never tried a controlled high speed panic stop and too many riders that do not know how to drive their bikes at high speed around a car that has suddenly stopped directly in front of them. Maybe instead of learning to drive properly you guys just pull your helmets down low to avoid seeing any of these hazards on our highways because you think that your helmets will save you as you crash directly, at 70 mph, into the back of a stopped truck/car on the road in front of you. Come on, give me a break guys, think about it carefully for a second, what is better to have in that situation above, a really good helmet, or a ton of good solid driver training that will guide you and your bike safely around the obstacle in your way?

Most guys cannot lock up the brakes on their bikes, they cannot recover from a self induced spin using the rear brake, they don't know how to transition their bikes rapidly from side to side extremely quickly, as in a desperate emergency situation where you need to avoid an obstacle in front of your path. Am I hearing from you guys that it makes more sense to just wear a helmet and not be concerned with safe defensive driving techniques, so instead just throw a helmet on and keep your head looking good for the viewing in your casket?

Please don't reply to me unless you really understand what I am trying to tell you, but, please do reply if you need clarification of what I'm trying to get across here. It's simple, laws do not reduce accidents, helmets do not reduce accidents, but, good defensive driving can just about eliminate all accidents and it all hinges on you learning how to drive your bike properly. It's got nothing to do with helmets.

I would like to be able to report that I wear a helmet because it is a safe and a wise thing to do when riding a bike, but, I can't because instead the law forces me to wear one so it negates my personal rationale for safety concerns. I also wear leather, gloves and glasses to protect myself when riding and I also choose to keep my bike in excellent condition or I don't ride and I would also wear a helmet most of the time if the helmet law was not in place and the choice would be mine to dress appropriately for the right conditions so guys don't tell me that I am anti safety, because I am all for safe driving, but the thing that I keep trying to get across to you is that helmets do not make you safe, only your driving skill and a lot of luck will do that for for you.

mickster":y20nnler said:
Just to remark on the stat that in 2007 63% of fatalities were not wearing helmets.

This has to be one of the worst stats you could ever pick for your argument. The above statement pretty much says that in motorcycle fatalities, that half of the deaths were wearing helmets and the other half were not. That statement alone shows that your chances of survival don't really increase by wearing a helmet !!!!

That being said, I do wear a helmet almost 100 percent of the time, and I do believe as far as preventing head injury I am sure it will help a lot. The problem is its not going to keep a rider from breaking their neck or dieing from impact. Motorcycling truly is a hobby where to really be safe is not to ride at all. All the safety equipment in the world is not going to save someone from an unexpected road hazard, cell phone car driver, or a deer running out and t-boning you. It is an unsafe hobby and arguing helmet laws is such a small part of the true danger of riding that it is really just debating for debates sake. I love motorcycling, but I as some one who has ridden for the last 25 years I feel its the most unsafe hobby that is still legal to do.

Jerry Seinfeld has a comedy bit on the foolishness of man for inventing the helmet to begin with. He talks about how man is too dumb to realize that instead of inventing the helmet he should have taken that time and energy and invested into a different hobby/occupation. He goes on to describe that in skydiving, the helmet is wearing the person for protection!

To each their own,
Respectfully,
Mickster

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

What those stats do not tell you is which of those fatalities died due to being run over by an 18 wheeler, or they were impaled on the tailpipe of a large van, their bodies were ripped in half completely or their legs were both cut off and they bled to death, yep they were not wearing helmets, but, the helmets would not have made any difference anyway because the mortal wounds on all the other parts of their bodies took their lives anyway yet their heads may have been in good shape with or without a helmet. Guys the argument I have is not against helmets, the argument I am trying make is that a helmet only provides additional protection if you you know how to drive your bike because the helmet might keep your head looking pretty if you smack into a brick wall at 40 mph, but, the rest of your body is going to be totally dead. My argument is that if you instead put the emphasis on better driving skills in avoiding accidents you will then have a far better safety device to protect you than a thing called a helmet. I think I've overstayed my welcome here so I'm out of here for now. Ride safe.

I agree with Vic.
Every morning there's at least one MC down on the traffic report and that seems to be increasing.
It's these idiots that just bought a rocket because lane splitting is legal here.

Defensive driving doesn't only apply to a bike.
My 17 year old girl thinks she's going to bypass driver training by waiting til she's 18 to get her license.
I've already told her I'm not letting her get behind the wheel alone until she masters how to control the car to my satisfaction.
I love my wife but she has 3 accidents and 2 tickets to my 0 in our 20 years of marriage and its her driving practices the kids are used to.

Goldwinger1984":3mlyjoeu said:
How come you guys can't see the point I am trying to make here. It's not the use or non use of the helmet, nor the law that is the issue. It is the poor training given to motorcycle drivers that I am concerned about.
Don't forget that this is a Forum where there is difference of opinions, but great sharing of ideas too! :ahem: :good:

I agree with you that there is a tremendous lack of MC training mostly because (and this is so typical) the Government doesn't require the training! I wear a helmet because I have seen first hand those that tried to shovel the ground with their heads and those that let their helmets do it for them.

You are right; in the real serious accidents a helmet will not do much. But for many accidents (I will speak for my part of the world) there are many bikers that end up falling off the bike avoiding an accident and the hemets do help in that situation.

Goldwinger1984":3dtzkrz6 said:
Omega Man":3dtzkrz6 said:
Seat belts save lives, and I won't accept any argument against them.

~O~

Oh no, now they're gonna be wanting seatbelts on motorcycles, as if the helmet law wasn't bad enough for bikers. I'm pro choice when it comes to helmets and motorcycles, but, I am totally against stupidity so please wear a helmet in the right situations and enjoy the lack of helmet anytime you can safely do so.
thats the first intelligent comment i've read so far

mickster":3pu05edh said:
I think I've overstayed my welcome here so I'm out of here for now. Ride safe.

:headscratch:
A lively discussion on whether or not helmets save lives is absolutely open to both sides. Everyone has an opinion on the subject, and we encourage participation. Helmets can only do so much...the rider has an obligation too, to be proficient in riding skills to the best of his/her ability. Nothing will save us from idiots intent on getting that text message sent, or getting that last drop of coffee(or whiskey) out of the cup. Riding skills will keep a LOT of us safe, if we learn, and practice safety daily. Sadly, some riders are gonna bite it, no matter what....helmet or no. I agree with the statement that the helmet will do the most good in a slower, kick-off accident than anything, but....I've also seen damage done by helmets getting caught on immovable objects....
I also agree it should be the RIDER'S choice, provided they are properly insured. The guv-ment has more pressing things to do than force me to wear ANYTHING.
my opinion....not gospel. :wave:

mcgovern61":390qdigu said:
Goldwinger1984":390qdigu said:
Don't forget that this is a Forum where there is difference of opinions, but great sharing of ideas too! :ahem: :good:

I agree with you that there is a tremendous lack of MC training mostly because (and this is so typical) the Government doesn't require the training! I wear a helmet because I have seen first hand those that tried to shovel the ground with their heads and those that let their helmets do it for them.

You are right; in the real serious accidents a helmet will not do much. But for many accidents (I will speak for my part of the world) there are many bikers that end up falling off the bike avoiding an accident and the hemets do help in that situation.

heck I have differing opinions on most things - :smilie_happy: sometimes they differ on the same day