Mirror Modification for Fairing Mirrors

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2ppn

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had mentioned in another thread of a different topic that I had a friend make a modification for me on my fairing mirrors... I had complained to him (a lot) that it was a constant P.I.T.A. to keep adjusting the mirrors while riding as they would continually "fold" in when I was driving faster than 40 MPH. I had gone through two sets of mirrors already and couldn't find a reason why the bolt in the base of the mirror was insufficien to hold the mirror in place while driving "at speed"... I had stripped two mirrors, loctited two and even tried epoxy in the ball area... all failed...

He took on of my stripped sets of mirrors back to work with him and decided that there was insufficient "clamping force" applied to the ball and socket when the bolt was tightened even if you removed the spring and used solid washers in it's place..

He decided that the mirror needed a real "nut and bolt" to keep in in place and he devised this fix:

image.php

image.php

He cut the top of the 90 degree arm and fashioned a stainless steel "nut" for the arm... after fitting it to the cut in the arm, he ground it down and polished it to what you see here.. (if you decide to do this for yourself be advised that the mirrors are cast from real CRAP and don't cut too much away to make the land for the nut)

I know this might not be something everyone can do for themselves, but it proved to be a great fix for the mirrors.... it worked so well that the spring was able to be reinserted and the tension is now correct that you can still adjust the mirrors but the won't adjust themselves until you hit over 100 MPH (which I only did to see how the would hold up at "speed")

Since he did the mod back in 1983 I haven't had to do anything to the mirrors except polish them and keep the glass clean......

Rich

Nice to know there is a way to lock them down.
Some sort of plastic cap or even silicone could go over the whole once the mirrors are set.

I've had mine I bought from JC Whitney a few years ago and have stayed where I put them.
Just lucky I guess. Now watch they'll start moving around on me.

I had the same problem with my original mirrors. I finally just drilled all the way thru, and ran a nut/bolt thru them. Didn't look very good, but it worked. I did finally buy some new ones from JCW, like Dan, and mine are still holding set just fine, too. I did have to change out the mirror glass...the ones JCW sells now do not have the convex glass, so you don't see much behind you with their glass. I just swapped out the glass from the originals, and all is well. I have pics in my album of my cheesy mod somewhere...

click for link

For mine, occasional re-tightening of the screw does the trick. I duct-taped the mirror/windsheild retaining nuts so that replacing the mirrors is easier. (Otherwise I need to remove Hondaline speakers.)

Occasional re-tightening of mine led to breaking the posts off...which led to the "Bubba" fix.... :builder:
:smilie_happy:

I don't know mine are original or JCW item. They got convex mirrors so may be the original.
I believe one had philips head and the other got slotted head. So PO, PPO or whoever did something there.

Now that I know JCW is crapping out and their's got flat mirrors, I will hold on to what I got. I won't hesitate to perform "Bubba" fix if necessary. :hihihi:

I never liked the Hondaline mirrors. I took them off, and put mirrors in my clutch and brake handles. There was a threaded hole in each of them with a plastic plug in them. The mirrors cost $9.00 each and are black. They never change position no matter how fast I go, and I can reach them much easier to adjust, if I had bumped one. Also, there is way less vibration shake, and I have a real dislike for vibrating mirrors. That is mostly why I changed them over. Believe it or not, nobody, and I repeat, nobody, has EVER noticed that I have done this when I am at a bike night or swap meet. Kinda funny isn't it? When I can post pics, I will put one up of it. I did replace the old holes with stainless slotted screws and polished the old spots where the mirrors used to be. One can barely see where they used to set.

patbrandon1":263mws9m said:
I never liked the Hondaline mirrors. I took them off, and put mirrors in my clutch and brake handles. There was a threaded hole in each of them with a plastic plug in them. The mirrors cost $9.00 each and are black. They never change position no matter how fast I go, and I can reach them much easier to adjust, if I had bumped one. Also, there is way less vibration shake, and I have a real dislike for vibrating mirrors. That is mostly why I changed them over. Believe it or not, nobody, and I repeat, nobody, has EVER noticed that I have done this when I am at a bike night or swap meet. Kinda funny isn't it? When I can post pics, I will put one up of it. I did replace the old holes with stainless slotted screws and polished the old spots where the mirrors used to be. One can barely see where they used to set.

Here is a pic of my mirrors that I use. I know it isn't original, but I hate when mirrors shake and vibrate while I am riding, especially at night. That last post allowed me to upload pics. I feel like I belong now.

Attachments

• Mirrors GL1100I.jpg
    Mirrors GL1100I.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 294
Only once I had one mirror move by itself but after tightening the screw inside it never moved again.
Guess I've been lucky.

I like that the mirrors on the fairing don't move when turning the bars but that blur in the mirrors is annoying. It hasn't really bothered me much, probably will now.

I was considering adding mirrors to my Vetter fairing......but not if they are going to shake and vibrate! My original '82 standard mirrors on the handlebars never shake or vibrate.

I think the shake I get is mostly from wind though I do see a blur at certain RPM's.

Certain times over the road and hitting bumps I can see my fairing move independent of the false tank and bars.
This movement could be causing what I see. I haven't been able to find why it does move like this.
All bolts are tight and secure to the plastic.
Others have said their's doesn't move at all.
When it's parked on the center stand I have a hard time getting any sort of movement out of it when pushing and pulling in all directions.

> Certain times over the road and hitting bumps I can see my fairing move independent of the false tank and bars.

Never noticed this.

But then again I may not be sensitive enough. Compared to BSA, XT, and even 3 cylinder XS, GL's engine is so smooth like electric motor that I don't feel any vibration.

My right mirror is getting a bit loose again. Time to tighten that screw. This time I will clean it and put some locktite.

dan filipi":2vts7qq4 said:
Certain times over the road and hitting bumps I can see my fairing move independent of the false tank and bars.
I haven't been able to find why it does move like this.
All bolts are tight and secure to the plastic.

If ya think aboot it, the fairing is only held to the frame by a couple of studs/nuts goin thru the bottom on each side, and the 4 bolts/nuts going around the front. The bottom of my fairing on one side has broken the plastic off around the studs...so it must be moving around enough to flex them.
I don't notice all that much vibration on my mirrors...but maybe I don't look in them enough... :mrgreen:

Just my $0.02 worth, but if your fairing is moving AT ALL even a little bit I would check to find out why...

The frame that secures the fairing and the mounting points that hold it to the frame were designed to keep it secure and not allow for vertical or lateral movement... if your fairing had movement I'd for one try to find out where it's coming from..... structural cracks in the base of the fairing could be forming and could lead to a disaster or even worse... If your fairing moves with the bike on the center stand when you grab it and try to lift the bike up or if it moves back and forth laterally... I'd want to track down the source of the movement before taking her out on the road again...

Just my $0.02 take it as you like...

Rich

n2ppn":aznvzaay said:
Just my $0.02 worth, but if your fairing is moving AT ALL even a little bit I would check to find out why...

Rich
I'm with you there Rich! My Vetter fairing is rock solid and does not move. The stereo unit (Cycle Sound?) is only held with 2 small brackets and it will move when I hit bumps. Maybe I will still try the mirrors on mine!

n2ppn":vztr75v4 said:

The frame that secures the fairing and the mounting points that hold it to the frame were designed to keep it secure and not allow for vertical or lateral movement... if your fairing had movement I'd for one try to find out where it's coming from..... structural cracks in the base of the fairing could be forming and could lead to a disaster or even worse... If your fairing moves with the bike on the center stand when you grab it and try to lift the bike up or if it moves back and forth laterally... I'd want to track down the source of the movement before taking her out on the road again...

Just my $0.02 take it as you like...

Rich

Thanks Rich, that is a very good point to know. I have only had my GL1100 for 2 months, and wasn't sure if they shook a little bit or not. I have had the bike taken apart a little bit, and did a semi-inspection of the fairing. There are a few slight cracks on the fairing lower at the bottom. I plan on doing a more thorough inspection soon. I think my mirrors shook so much because they were constantly moving from not being tight enough at the head. I could have screwed around and fixed them good enough, but the left one was just an upside down right one and they were in bad shape. Maybe if I had some quality fairing mirrors, someday I might switch back. And if I find any reasons the fairing shakes excessively, I could probably go back to original. I like original, but dislike shakin mirrors more.

It seems to me that most, if not all, of the honda fairings break apart at the bottom where it attaches to the bracket. It seems more prevalent on the right side, which seems to point to the factory radio and it's weight. Once they start cracking, they develop a shake. The fairing I have has this damage, much worse on the right side. I have removed the factory radio and will be installing an aftermarket. I suggest looking underneath the fairing where it attaches to the bracket carefully, bolts being tight is not the problem, look for cracking around the bracket.

I replaced mine with the emgo replacements and they stay put mostly... even after a spill... mine usually tilt at the mirror itself... but the ones on previously did that..

Latest posts