MPG with single carb?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmopars

Reaction score
I am interested in doing the single carb conversion on my 82. I am a little worried about the MPG change. Is it better or worse than good running factory rack? I am currently getting about 40 MPG and would not want to go down from there, I ride 90+ miles a day 5 days a week.

howdy oldmopars, i get 38.5 avg with most of my 160 miles a day round trip at 65 to 75 mph. I run a carter/weber carb from tom@stovebolt right out of the box with a home built intake made from 2X3 steel and old exh pipe to match the rubber boots on the intake elbows. With the 83 engine i just put in my beater,the carb seems a tad lean and i have yet to play with it. I'm keeping track of Dan and Joe to see where they end up , then i'll play with mine but for now.. it hauls azz and gets fine by me mpg, run's hard with no greif from dead stop to 90 mph, i don't run it over that... (P.S. i still never shut off my fuel :popcorn: )

008.jpg
the 1 i am running now is un heated, my heated 1 is exactly like this one only the bottom is boxed in with a 3/8" npt for in and out for the heater hose. Mine runs better here in the arizona heat with out manifold heat and i get 3 mpg better with a cold intake? Who Knows?
007.jpg

003.jpg
this one i did for a good friend with more scrap steel(2X2" square) and used a small holley 1bbl from a 1960 rambler small 6cyl engine. I blocked the power valve and stepped the main jet up 10 numbers and it runs awsome! i think better than mine however it gets only 33 avg and he isn't interested in playing with jetting as he loves it as is.

Well I just got home from a 186 mile ride.
Pretty laid back cruise 55-70 mph.
About 1/2 the ride I had a 10-20 mph head wind.

32 mpg.

Needless to say I am not pleased.
It runs awesome though!

Yeah I'm thinking that head wind is a good hit but I did get 41 with the same intake on the 1100.
At 41 I did have the c5 ignition.
Sumpthins up here I need to get to the bottom of.

Greetings to all my brothers. Long ago I did not visit the forum. :hi:

In my case, I managed to get 45mph in October 2013, when I finished my project.

https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99998#p99998

Engine start was instantaneous, no matter if the weather was cold or warm. With the passage of time I have noticed that fuel efficiency has been deteriorating. Currently the Enterprise is offering me 38-42 mph, depending on road conditions. Anyway I'm happy with the numbers. In addition, the engine start is not like the early days of conversion. Right now I have to keep in the mornings around 2,500 rpm for 3-4 minutes for effective heating. This becomes an additional fuel consumption. It is worth mentioning that my manifold has no heating system yet.

The gain in engine power has not changed at all. I do not regret having made ​​the switch.

Last note: When I go out with my friends for a Saturday ride, they need to make a stop to refuel, and I'm still got 1/4 of the tank. :mrgreen:

I am averaging 30mpg with single carb but never saw better than around 34 or 35 with stock carbs. 76 gl1000
Would never consider going back to stock even if someone gave me a set of carbs.
dave

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116790#p116790:1l982n9w said:
who444444 » Sat May 03, 2014 5:31 pm[/url]":1l982n9w]
I am averaging 30mpg with single carb but never saw better than around 34 or 35 with stock carbs. 76 gl1000
Would never consider going back to stock even if someone gave me a set of carbs.
dave
10-4 on that !! I never have ridden a harbor bomber with the stock carb's but i have ridden many thousands of miles with folk's that did have stock carb's and that was the reason i didn't ride jap stuff then.(no insult intended to anyone)

I guess I am very lucky right now. My carbs are running real good and I am getting around 40-42mpg. However most all of my riding is nice country back roads and the speed limit is 50-55 MPH. I stay within 10 of that.
I think I will keep my eyes open for the right parts to convert it, then I can have it on hand when my carbs die.

Well my whole idea behind pushing for higher mpg is I had a dodge colt 4 door with a 1.4 liter automatic that got 45 highway, 28-32 city.
It wasn't the most aerodynamic either and a lot heavier than my bike.
It too had a carburetor.

Latest posts