muffler compatability

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rryman

Reaction score
Are all GL1100 mufflers pretty much interchangeable or is there a difference in them? I need to find a set for my 83, and am wondering how far I can stray from that year model.
Thanks for any help.
Randy

as far as harley mufflers.... the replacement mufflers for the 1100's should interchange.. just keep in mind you may need to resync the carbs,,, or rejet.. but they should be close enough..

From left field. Honda 900 Hornet cans are a walkup fit to your headers just need a mounting tab to the rear foot peg brackets (see any photo of Rhonda) and so danm quiet you'll wish you had a better idea

Working on the final phase of a four into one exhaust for my wing. Fairly quiet so far as I do not care for loud, however do like the sound over the stock system.

dan filipi":1mrg976r said:
I seem to remember reading the 80 and maybe '81 are slightly different length but thats easily fixed by reaming the rear mounting holes alittle larger.

Last couple of kits I have looked at listed one system fitting all years of the 1100's

From what I have read (which means I have not tried it, so believe at your own risk). All years are interchangeable on the 1100 but crossover tubes on the 83 are in a different place so you cannot mix an 80-82 left with an 83 right or vice-versa.

..................crossover tubes on the 83 are in a different place so you cannot mix an 80-82 left with an 83 right or vice-versa.
============
Well, we're about to find out whether or not that is fact or fiction, I bought a left side muffler from an 82. Should be here next week. I'll let you know how it works out. Tried to find a complete set, but couldn't, so I'm starting with a left side, and hopefully find a right side later. I guess now all I'll find will be a complete set!
Randy

cant say i made a muffler but i did cut the stock pipes off just past the crossover some and added 4 inch exhaust pipe to the rear. it does take a little torch heat and a well placed hammer blow for a little axle clearence. the sound is not that loud to me. i've had it this way for at least a year and if anything it runs better now than it did before. but the stock exhast was so bad comparing them is moot. i'm good with it and have no plans on changing it.

I don't know what the original mufflers look like inside, but I slapped this together in PAINT with 4" exhaust pipe in mind for the muffler itself. They sell this muffler packing stuff at the motorcycle store. It can be as long or short as you want.

70246080.png

on my 1000 exhast there is a partition or cross support inside with two holes in it with 1" pipes welded in this is where my pipes had the most damage. usually this is were the exhaust burns though on mine i had to patch it. on mine this partition is behind the center stand section but right there close. on mine i took this section out so it would flow better through this weak section. that muffler packing you posted if mounted completely in the 4" pipe id think it would work great. making me think of finishing mine that way. i cant remember but i dont think i spent any more than about 30.00 on pipe and black paint. i would like to get some black exhast wrap for the headers where the paint burns off. let me know how much these muffler packing cost. hope this info helps

its never occurred to me look for a muffer somewhere that would fit inside tight enough to secure the 4 inch exhast pipe. im going to start measuring stuff i come accross now thanks for the nuge on the brain. it could be removeable . it would be nice set up on my bike with the exhast mods ive already made.

i guess i could take a length 4" exhust pipe cut it length ways close the gap up and slip it in another 4"exhast pipe weld it together for a perfect slip in. weld and fabercate amuffler together like your pic that could slip in and out the exhast i all ready have. i like the look and sturdyness of haft stock exhast pass all stock monts and 4" pipe the rest of the way. last summer when i did all the mods to 1000 by converting to a lot of 1100 parts for ride, tyre selection and rpm drop i added atrailer hitch and want to extend my exhast further back to look better. i like the sound of the open exhast but playing music for a living i dont realy need to listen to anything louder than i have to.

From what I have read (which means I have not tried it, so believe at your own risk). All years are interchangeable on the 1100 but crossover tubes on the 83 are in a different place so you cannot mix an 80-82 left with an 83 right or vice-versa
==========
Well, I got the muffler today. Took off the old one and compared them both on the bench and can see no difference at all. Thought I could just take off the left, but ended up taking off both sides. The crossover pipe seems to be in the same place by all measurements I could take. Think I'll wait until I get the right side to put them back on.
Randy

Based on the measurements I took from both mufflers, all are within 1/16". I think it will do fine. The new exhaust looks really good. I'm satisfied with it. The clamp on the crossover pipe on mine was a little difficult to get off. put a torch to the bolts and some PB Blaster and they came off, Think I'm going to replace the bolts with stainless ones.
Randy

Well, to put a conclusion to this thread, I have secured a "set" of mufflers that will hopefully be here within a week or so. As I suspected, after I got a right side, I ended up buying a set to get the left one! Now I hope to get the bike back together and see what I've got. Hopefully, I will be back to a "stock" sound.
Randy

Latest posts