muffler update

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably right about the crud. I believe it may have also been in the cylinders. If they were anything like the carbs, it couldn't have been good. Looking back through the inspection receipts, some years the PO didn't put 100 miles on it between yearly inspections. It's a wonder I didn't find any mouse nests in it.

Well, finally some good news. Got the bike out for about another 35 miles the other evening, and the more miles I get on it, the better it is seeming to run. Hopefully in the next few weeks I can put some additional miles on it. Our GWRRA chapter is making a run to the Flight 93 Memorial in Shanksville, Pa tomorrow, but seeing as the 1100 doesn't have intercom, cb or music, we'll be taking the 1500.
Randy

The mufflers and baffles on my 83 rotted out to the point of noisy and not running up to par. I couldn't find a set of goldwing mufflers I could afford so today i installed these

Bikesviragowing001.jpg

Sounds great , runs better and cost me 50 dollars for the mufflers and 20 for the pipe and an afternoon with a great friend to do the job. They are Harley road king slip ons.

Tom

had a set of those (paid $20) and were gonna put them on before I found a complete set of 1100 pipes.. traded them and $20 for a trailer that needs work..

First thanks for the compliment I try to take care of her. She's a good bike. All I did was cut the old mufflers off at the head pipe and gas welded 1.75 OD exhaust pipe to the head pipe. Then heated the pieces up and with a pipe inside the exhaust pipe bent it to the shape I needed. The change over took 3 to 4 hrs total. I painted the exhaust pipe with 1500 degree header paint

Tom

Oh and one other thing the back end needs to flare out a bit to be sure there is clearance for swingarm Travel and I removed the center stand. I never used it anyway

:cool!: Man I use my center stand all the time when she sits in the garage, I'll have ta see if I can do this and still have a useable centerstand. I think there was a post where somene used flex-pipe.
Winger 82 :hi:

Winger 82":2aepqn9l said:
:cool!: Man I use my center stand all the time when she sits in the garage, I'll have ta see if I can do this and still have a useable centerstand. I think there was a post where somene used flex-pipe.
Winger 82 :hi:

I looked at flex but decided it was too flimsy I think you could keep the center stand all you would need to do is make a rest for it in the up position. I use a bike jack as I got a bum knee and can't put it up on it by myself

Tom

What kind of pipes were you running? I run a small bottle of Lucas fuel treatment through mine every 3 months and it seems to help out quite q bit.

I put road king mufflers on mine, and used stainless flex pipe on them. The flex pipe might seem flimsy when it's not on the bike, but if you're mufflers are mounted solidly, the flex pipe will move to the position you need, and stay there. It's not holding any weight whatsoever.

I was going to paint mine, but after I put them on, I liked the look and left them along. The only thing I don't like is the muffler clamp at the header, but it's hard to see when the bike is on the ground.

https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=458

tumunga":15dek3m4 said:
I put road king mufflers on mine, and used stainless flex pipe on them. The flex pipe might seem flimsy when it's not on the bike, but if you're mufflers are mounted solidly, the flex pipe will move to the position you need, and stay there. It's not holding any weight whatsoever.

I was going to paint mine, but after I put them on, I liked the look and left them along. The only thing I don't like is the muffler clamp at the header, but it's hard to see when the bike is on the ground.

https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=458

Very nice build. I can see with the Bracket you built that that flex would not be taking any wieght at all. Very nice indeed

Latest posts