muffler update

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rryman

Reaction score
I have finally secured a decent set of stock mufflers for the 83. Got them installed last evening. Started the bike this evening for the first time in several months. Definitely sounded much better, but SMOKE like I have never seen!!
Don't know if it was from sitting or if something was in the mufflers, but lots of smoke from the right side. Had both garage doors open and it looked like the place was on fire. After ventilating, restarting, the smoke seemed to be subsiding from the mufflers, but still noticeable. I was thinking that maybe the rings got stuck. Anyone ever had any experience with this? Had to go away for awhile this evening. When I got home, I pulled the plugs and shot some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders and am going to let it set until tomorrow night. My Dad always believed in this stuff. I shot it in the cylinders,then cranked the engine for a couple seconds to get it distributed. Tomorrow night will put the plugs back n and see what happens.
I have not re-synched the carbs since the last removal, but is sure sounded better with the stock exhaust. (My wife even commented that it sounded better!)
Anybody got any thoughts on the above?
Thanks,
Randy

oke

my 83 does this if it sits for any amount of time over about 2 days.
usually it will clean up in a few minutes.
I had the heads off last year, and put new valve seals in so I am pretty sure it isnt valve seals...
my guess is that a small amount of oil is getting past the rings and settling in the cylinders...
I have started using seafoam in every tank..
will see if it helps :D

If oil got into the exhaust pipes it will take awhile to burn out.
The MMO you put in the plug holes will accumulate in the pipes and smoke quite a bit for awhile also.

The last time I had to burn out oil it took a good hour running before the exhaust was clear.

Where did the exhaust system come from? May have been salvaged from a bike that left some nasty stuff in the pipes on it's way into the next life.

Mine smokes noticeably from one side or the other after sitting for a week or more. Kind of alarming. Then it clears up as if nothing ever happened. But it's never smoked so bad that I had to shut it off.

Thes pipes came from a salvager in Redondo Beach, Ca. I considered that it may be something in them. The right was noticably smoking more than the left. Going to get it running this weekend more and see what's going on.
Randy

fastmover83":2zyyjeid said:
Did the smoke smell like burnt mouse, exhaust pipes and intake filter housings are a favorite nesting place for mice.

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Would that be the equivelant of a cajun smoker? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Got the bike started again this morning and warmed it up to sync the carbs, and the smoke did eventually stop. Thought for awhile I had the worlds most expensive insect fogger!
Anyway, got the carbs back in sync and went for a ride. The bike is definitely quieter with the stock pipes. I believe it is running better than it did, but still not like I think it should be running. There is just that thumping when taking off from a standing start if you let the rpm's down. Once it's moving, it goes like a streak.
Randy

Mine makes a pretty good primary chain rattle in 2-5 if it gets below 2000 RPM and I try to give it some throttle. Once it gets above 2000 rpm's the rattle is gone and it builds speed pretty quick.

Andyb":3s63wfzr said:
Mine makes a pretty good primary chain rattle in 2-5 if it gets below 2000 RPM and I try to give it some throttle. Once it gets above 2000 rpm's the rattle is gone and it builds speed pretty quick.

seems everybike I owned from newbies to matures (used) would rattle somewhat if I was in too high of a gear starting out or laying on the gas..

mcgovern61":17uafaq1 said:
fastmover83":17uafaq1 said:
Did the smoke smell like burnt mouse, exhaust pipes and intake filter housings are a favorite nesting place for mice.

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Would that be the equivelant of a cajun smoker? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Now I gave up smoking 9 days, 4 hours, and 16 minutes ago, but who's counting :head bang: :head bang: :sensored: :help: :heat: :crying: :beg: :head bang:
Deadset you blokes should be registered as a depresion help site, Every time I feel like the next person I see is gunna turn into a smoking related death you mob just crack me up :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Joep":310jfuog said:
Andyb":310jfuog said:

seems everybike I owned from newbies to matures (used) would rattle somewhat if I was in too high of a gear starting out or laying on the gas..

I stuck up the last post because I was having fun and had not read any further ahead but this one is real concern
What you are prob hearing is called crank shudder
These bikes are far from new and the more any motor wears the more this happens
The effect is shakin the crank in the bearings, this is destructivly very bad
Do what ya gotta do with the loud grip to avoid it :read:

Dave":2imex0cv said:
Joep":2imex0cv said:
Andyb":2imex0cv said:

I stuck up the last post because I was having fun and had not read any further ahead but this one is real concern
What you are prob hearing is called crank shudder
These bikes are far from new and the more any motor wears the more this happens
The effect is shakin the crank in the bearings, this is destructivly very bad
Do what ya gotta do with the loud grip to avoid it :read:

I do indeed do all I can to avoid it.

Got to go for a bit longer ride this evening. If it continues to run like it is now, I'll be satisfied. Rode about 40 miles. Seems to be running better all the time. About 4 miles into the ride, something strange happened. I had pulled away from a stop light, and was accelerating, and all of a sudden got this feeling like it had suddenly been given a boost. I had the throttle steady, but the engine seemed to pick up power and acceleration increased. Whatever happened, it was for the better. After that, I noticed that it was doing better from a standing start.
I had been having problems with #4 not firing when cold, or at idle. Don't know if something changed that or not.
Anyway, I'm a happy camper now.

I noticed the same thing when I first got my 1100 a few years ago.
It had been sitting for awhile and run only occasionally but as I put miles on it I felt the same increase in power and running better as more miles were put on.

That's good to hear. I really like the way this bike handles. It seems fairly nimble compared to my 1500. A few hundred pounds less does make a difference I guess! (the wife even commented on how much better it sounded this evening with the stock mufflers) Hopefully I'll get a few tanks of gas through it in the next couple weeks. I do appreciate everyone's help on this site during the process of getting this thing back running, especially with all the carb help.

Latest posts