My 1975 Cruiser

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert

Reaction score
I swapped the front off of a Hayabusa to get better/stronger forks and six piston calipers. I bought a Shoei fairing just before I painted the bike. Also I bought a new master-cylinder that better matched the Nissin calipers. I had the seat recovered with marine grade vinyl locally. A local goldwing guru Ben Hutsler went through the carbs for me...what a difference that made.
IMG_1793.JPG

IMG_1795.JPG

IMG_1796.JPG

Omega Man":iub7orhe said:
Wow man, that is sooo cool Bert. I'll bite, how has the handling improved with that extreme mod?

~O~
To say it is better than before would be understating. It doesn't feel anything like before. Very little dive when braking hard and no bump steer on lumpy sweepers. It makes it feel more like a sport-bike. It feels lighter too. It holds the line you picked when cornering and it accepts correction without any problem.

Over the years I've tried air forks, progressive springs, steering stabilizers and fork bracing. Each of those things improved handling over stock but this set up is what I wanted all along.

I'd say it's the best thing I have done to improve handling. I highly recommend the Busa front end swap. I almost forgot to mention the stopping power...it's awesome.

dan filipi":mfqo1pqi said:
Interesting on the forks and brakes.

Have you riden an 1800?
If so how does the front stopping power compare?
I really like the 1800's fronts, almost too good.
I have not ridden a 1500 nor an 1800 so I wouldn't be able to answer your question. I do know that trying to beef up a stock front end is a waste of time and money.

It was a lot of mental work, measuring, cutting, welding and some machining was involved to do the swap but all in all worth the time and money. I had the bearing cups machined to my measurements and I bought the tapered bearings from a company named "Bearings and Drives" locally. The bearings were less than a third of what the dealer wanted for Busa bearings.

nice bert ive been following the progress on NGW thread ....it was a lot of work and went about it in a very sure footed way .....nice build :shock: :Egyptian: :clapping: :builder: :builder: :music: :salute: :good: :yes: :mrgreen:

That's an extreme mod that looks pretty dang kewl! That tiny front tire/wheel is kinda intriguing!

Is that a slammed 'Burban in the background? :good:

AApple":1k1rcs4p said:
That's an extreme mod that looks pretty dang kewl! That tiny front tire/wheel is kinda intriguing!

Is that a slammed 'Burban in the background? :good:

Thanks the tire although small 16" works great.

The blue vehicle in the background is a 1969 c-10 Panel truck with barn doors in the back.

More pictures of the truck:

https://picasaweb.google.com/bertfoster ... 8797121602

I guess the fender makes the tire/wheel look smaller than it really is...kinda like an optical delusion. Me likes! :good:
Sweet Truck, too! :clapping:

AApple":1ci1lflw said:
I guess the fender makes the tire/wheel look smaller than it really is...kinda like an optical delusion. Me likes! :good:
Sweet Truck, too! :clapping:
Thanks the wing took 6 months the truck took three years.

joedrum":6tf2hn19 said:
yes bert nice i see you have a 75 76 and 77 wing ....im just now working on a 77 i got :mrgreen:
I had the '77 running and then it sat for four years...back through the carbs...Dooh!

My goldwing ghuru buddy is building the carbs for the '76 and I'm swapping the labor by painting his brothers '75 blue wing.
I thought he was going to faint when we went to the autopaint store and priced materials. Paint and the prep materials have gone through the roof.