My other restorations.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverado6x6

Reaction score
20130727_123944.jpg

This is my latest addition, an 89 Venture Royale, traded two of my gun safe queen rifles that I had little interest in, some mags and ammo for this last saturday. Owner a young man thought engine was blown up turns out it was just a leaking clutch slave cylinder and a bad stator. I really love riding this bike!
Has a new agm battery and regulator, decent Metzeler tires, all the sound, intercom, cb, ptt, and Class systems work. Bodywise in excellent shape with some minor damage to fairing at the mirror mounts.

Behind it is the 83 Venture waiting for a new tdi and its new bodywork wich is in the mail.
Since the Goldwing is not being worked on that is why I am posting in this forum.
I have made more friends here than at the Venture forums, they hate me for snarfing up two Ventures cheaply.... :yahoo:
So anyway I may continue my restoration saga, btw I may be seeing a 95 Goldwing in the near future, I made a barter offer for one locally.

The fuel tank is the same as the gl bikes and is tucked down low that is just the cover. what i like is the working CLASS air suspension. oh and the gear postion indicator in the lcd dash. po went into shock when given a shop quote for repairs. had bike listed on cl for 1,000 bucks with no buyers. took me an hour of clutch flushing and bleeding and its fully rideable with the exception of the bad stator.

Do I see an old Silverwing in the back? :clapping:

Nice Yammy....love how we can benefit from other's misfortune.... :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:
(not really, but.... :mrgreen:

Looks pretty :mrgreen: I was looking at those and Kawi Voyager, I settled on the GL because they just seemed so reliable and also had a better center of gravity..The nice think about the touring class is the young folks usually wont touch them and the guys that had them really didn't want to work on them, I`m old enough to love them yet young enough to bust my knuckles on them.
Something like that.

To the left is a stripped down 83 Venture, beyond is an 83 CX650C, the one with the red Vetter is an 80 CX500D, then the 83 GL1100, then a 90 KZ1000 Police with the white Vetter.
Both honda cx bikes are restored and running. Spent the latter afternoon repairing broken tabs and such on the 89 venture, used 3200psi plastic epoxy and strips of carbon fiber cloth. Its a shame the PO of the 89 Venture had no mechanical skills, for just about or less than $200 he could have fixed this bike, instead he dumps it, makes you wonder how many more are like this.

Just checked my ebay tracking and the new stator is in Anchorage and should be at my post office by 10am so I will have to start this morning getting the old one off, also got a decent deal on the fleabay of a new Slipstreamer replacement windshield new still in its wrap so I bought that as well. The 89 Venture windshield was crap and I made it worse trying to clean it, so I yanked it off and temporarily installed the 83 Venture fire damaged windshield, its a little droopy on one side from heat damage but at least you can see through it.
The Metzeler tires have tread but are old, I bought Shinko 230 Tourmasters for my 1983 Honda CX650 restoration back in june, could not be happier with those tires. Seems like some GW owners prefer these tires as well, anyone have any negative thoughts? I do NOT need high mileage tires, actually I prefer the opposite, I am lucky to even get 1000 miles a season riding time, my poor 2009 Star 1300 Tourer only has 1700 miles on it since I bought it brand new off the showroom floor. Thats less than 500 miles a year thats been put on it.
Now I could ask at the venture forums about tires but they seem to be smoking funny stuff half the time as I often see many a new poster ask for advice and then you get a hundred snarky comments after that so hopefully I can find another more mature Venture sight, otherwise believe it or not I would rather just park myself at a Goldwing site, after all I do have a GL1100 and if my fortune remains the same I may have another one of these days, seems like all my life I wind up with two of everything.
Even when I was making posts about getting this 89 Venture all I was getting was comments that it was a trash bike, kinda odd that people on a Venture forum were adamant about avoiding the Second Generation Venture I would think.
Thats all for now, off to Craigslist to hunt down that elusive prey the Classic Goldwing... :moped:

To heck with the Venture forums. Most of us have other bikes along with our goldwings. I know I certainly do. I'll be riding my 78 Kawasaki 750 twin to the meet. By the way if ya find one of them up there snag it. Very nice ride.