My speedometer looks like it has the hiccups

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5150jim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Riding down the freeway or even side streets my speedo looks like it is bouncing about 5 mph over the speed. I just bounces at what I think is the same rate no matter if I doing 30 or 80. Not that I ride 80, well maybe some times. Okay, okay, all the time.
Anyone got an idea has to how to fix it or if there is even a fix?
TNX, Jim

My does the same and I have been removing the speedo cable and spraying silicon spray in there. It is getting better but I have done this at least 4 times in the last 3k miles and need to do it again. It would be better to remove the speedo and invert it to apply silicon spray/ ATF in a more controlled manner and from what others have said more successful for a longer term. That said I think I will take the 5 mins and apply some more silicon spray before today's ride :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=128875#p128875:31kgmlbr said:
Ansimp » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:47 pm[/url]":31kgmlbr]
My does the same and I have been removing the speedo cable and spraying silicon spray in there. It is getting better but I have done this at least 4 times in the last 3k miles and need to do it again. It would be better to remove the speedo and invert it to apply silicon spray/ ATF in a more controlled manner and from what others have said more successful for a longer term. That said I think I will take the 5 mins and apply some more silicon spray before today's ride :yes:

I have tried that before but I wasn't sure if it would hurt the speedo. I'll do it again today.
TNX
And yes, I have pulled the speedo off & sprayed in there.

Pretty sure you have speedo gear chatter. When they get worn their not as smooth and tight as when new. I just replaced the speedo wheel unit on my GL1500 and it went from about a 3mph bounce to dead flat at every speed. I didn't realize it at the time, but apparently the nylon gears are replaceable. I my case the rubber-coated drive tangs were also crap, so I just bought a whole new unit. Not only steady, but when I've passed radar signs since changing it, the speedo reads the same as the sign.

Latest posts