Mysterious intermittent fuse

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewhiterhino

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I am getting closer I have been doing a couple of road tests to check things out.
As I headed home the dash went strangely dark and my immediate reaction was crap.... :fiddle: :fiddle:
When I got home I checked the fuses and none were blown but for a moment every thing came back on then off again.. I removed the seat and false tank and decided to undo the fuse panel and look for a bad connection. In the process of undoing the tape on the wire loom next to the fuse panel half a fuse fell out.

The end cap had become loose and the filament had a crack in the middle that you couldn't see with casual inspection, however it caused my intermittent problem. Since the holders are not solid and move around that caused my problem to come and go..

I've seen the same thing MANY times with glass fuses, especially older ones. Just looking at the filament is NEVER a sure thing, as far as telling if the fuse is good or not. Just be glad it didn't leave ya stranded! Be sure to carry some spares with ya all the time. :good:

That wouldn't have been the second fuse from the left now would it??? My blew when I had pushed arond some wires that a PO had run for a trailer hook up.. 4 wire flat connector and the males were on the bike side... hit ground and took out dash, tail and another light I think..

I carry spare 5,10 and 15 amp fuses in the fuse box plus 2 more of each and some 20s and 30s in the clovebox on Rhonda. Never needed 1 myself but have rescued a few 20 - 40 year old cars :)