Naked, How Naked? totally Naked, or to the Batwing.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westgl

Reaction score
I am trying to decide a Batwing or Naked.

Problem is, I have two fiberglass Batwing Fairings, collecting dust, do i let them collect more dust or have a little more wind protection and have some extra storage.

I like this bike naked,

would I be doing this bike a injustice, by putting on the Batwing on it.

A picture of Naked bike.

A picture of Batwing just teetering on the bike, glad there were no gusts of wind.

If I go with the Batwing Fairing, i would like to put LED driving lights and Turn signals into the wing tips, on the Batwing.

I have two colors of paint in the shop for this bike, as when weather get a little better, warmer, & dryer i would like to shoot it with either colors are very nice, a Pearl Yellow, or, Orange Pearl.

I am leaning toward the Yellow as it is a two stage paint plus a clear coat so three stage paint at least 3 coats of each paint so 9 coats. The Orange pearl is a single stage paint plus, Clear coat so at least 3 coats each.

I also want a positive pressure windshield, i could do that with the Batwing, allowing for height adjustment and shield tilt adjustment, allowing air under the shield, for super smooth air flow and very quiet wind noise, from the shield that is, But the fiberglass batwing may scream and whistle like a banshee.

I may be the plan for this bike at the moment, but all subject to change.

Attachments

• P1020174.JPG
    P1020174.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 447
To see a similar resemblance of the Positive pressure windshield screen that has the same principal as what i want to do to the Batwing is in the first picture next to the oldwing with the Batwing.

In that picture you can see that shield has a gap and a scoop to capture air under the shield and force air under the shield at the same speed as the air traveling over the top of the shield.

That is the positive pressure shield, they smooth out the air and quiet the air noise at the same time.

The air going under the windshield (at the same speed as air going over the windshield) actually blows the air over the shield and up and over your helmet at a fast speed, making a smaller shield act like a much larger windshield, it is some good engineering that someone had done that i am going to copy for my Batwing.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116807#p116807:f1cr9axd said:
Omega Man » Sat May 03, 2014 6:21 pm[/url]":f1cr9axd]
BATWING!

~O~

Thanks Omega Man,

When i had the Batwing sitting on the bike, I was liking it, and trying to picture it mounted and painted, with it completed.

I like to try to quick disconnect as much as possible, But this time i may not be able to.

I have looked at and have been thinking i would have to remove the clear plastic cover over the gauges and reduce the size of gauge cluster as much as possible to fit it into the batwing

Imagination is a wonderful place, but sometimes things are not quite the same when completed.

Looks like a really good start on a Cafe bike, Chopped rear exposing the wheel...Cool. Takeoff pipes...Cool. Some clubman bars or Straight bars would fit the minimal look pretty well....IMO. Don't get me wrong. I like the batwing...been thinking about getting one for my naked. I think the batwing would go well with the bagger look. Hell,mock it up and ride it around for a while and see how you like it.

Here's my 1200 standard.

Attachments

• 84 standard 004.JPG
    84 standard 004.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 437
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116814#p116814:22asnx75 said:
Wildwing » Sun May 04, 2014 1:39 pm[/url]":22asnx75]
Looks like a really good start on a Cafe bike, Chopped rear exposing the wheel...Cool. Takeoff pipes...Cool. Some clubman bars or Straight bars would fit the minimal look pretty well....IMO. Don't get me wrong. I like the batwing...been thinking about getting one for my naked. I think the batwing would go well with the bagger look. Hell,mock it up and ride it around for a while and see how you like it.

Here's my 1200 standard.
file.php

Very nice :good:

I was going for a smaller, shorter, more Narrow, & Lighter, leaner look, like a Naked Cruiser.

With that single Valkyrie seat on my bike it sits lower, and has a more compact feel to it, than the stock seat did.

I like to sit upright and not bend or slouch over forward to ride.

I am not a fan of the smaller cafe bars, it aint my style, I dont like the bent over ride position.

I like to sit straight up or lean slightly back while riding, I Like a back rest even better.

I have a head rest converted to a back rest from a suzuki rodeo, on one of my bikes, it works great.

I will also be putting some highway pegs on.

But, since I no longer have the engine crash bars on, I dont have anything to clamp on to, and i dont like to clamp to the frame tube.

I will attach them to the Low Front engine Mount bolt, I would love to have some forward controls, but that probably will not happen.

I've never ridden behind a batwing fairing, but thought it would be too much like having a wall in front of you. Like you wouldn't be able to see right in front of the front wheel. :nea:

Brian

Yea, i know what you guys mean.

I like to look for gravel on the road, nails, or other road hazards while I am riding.

I will have to put back on the bike sit on seat and see how obscured my vision is right in front of the bike, and how ahead of me I have to look out before I can see the road.