NAPPING GOLDWINGS

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175461#p175461:3pcwoub5 said:
nwhittemore07885 » 5 minutes ago[/url]":3pcwoub5]
Mine did that in the yard even had the center stand on some plywood but it sank on the left side and after 30 mins flop.

I wonder if there's a way to void that without laying a mini-slab of concrete or giant boards of thick ply. . . :headscratch:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175464#p175464:tx586oi0 said:
nwhittemore07885 » 10 minutes ago[/url]":tx586oi0]
Dont park on soft ground?

Aside from that. :smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175456#p175456:3ijthnob said:
UTgl1000 » Today, 6:37 pm[/url]":3ijthnob]

They re-topped the parking lot at work and filled a 3" wide crack with tar, She held up until I walked away
file.php

Now I always look at what I am parking on top of, you can see the crack in the picture and like a DS I pulled right on top of it :whistling:

These are good lessons for all of us to watch out for. Fortunately I haven't dumped mine yet, notice I said yet. Since I live in a community that doesn't know what a level surface is many times I need to park on uneven surfaces and that can get to be a challenge at times.

Many moons ago, when I had my Honda 750A, I was living in a house that only had a small square of cement for the front "porch"....maybe a 2ft square or so. I parked the bike up on it every night, with the center stand centered on the pad. One night it was raining when I got home, and I parked it, went inside, and passed out went to sleep. Sometime in the night I heard a noise, but just assumed it was thunder. Next mornin, I got ready to leave, and opened the front door, and the bike was laying down. Took me a while to figure out someone hadn't actually come by and knocked it over just messin with me, or that I hadn't actually just dumped it and left it like that
two_smileys_drinking_beer_together_zps91b8a5c4.gif
. I noticed the slab had sunk into the ground on one side, and the bike followed. Luckily, since it had been raining, the ground was soft enough to not cause any damage to the bike.

I think my wing has narcolepsy it's taken so many naps, some with me still on it. Like last week on the way to the We Ride Arkansas Meet & Greet, sitting on it behind two of my riding friends at the end of the fuel island waiting for them to fuel up, kickstand down, next thing I know I'm going down to the right, so I just ride it to the concrete saying damn, this is gonna hurt. :help: :help: I looked like that little ol man in the black coat on "Laugh In" riding the tricycle to the stop sign and falling over when he stops. lol Couple of bystanders, ( one an EMT ) picked it up off me, put a band aid on my elbow and we continued on the 200 miles to the Meet & Greet. Still don't know why I went over. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Sounds like me on a gwrra ride a while back. This group liked to go all out weaving in and out of traffic and expected everyone to keep 1 second behind. Ridiculous now I think about it.
In LA traffic and heat that kind of riding really kicks your ass. When we stopped 1-1/2 hour later I wanted off the bike so bad I about stepped away from it with no stand down. I'll never ride with that group ever again.

Dan in the aviation community there is a saying, "there are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots". I think that can apply to motorcycles as well. I'm on the volunteer fire department here, actually it is the only fire department within thirty miles. Sunday a young man bit the farm passing a truck on a corner, CHP estimated impact speed of 80 to 90 mph based on how far he ended up from the point of impact. I truly hate to see things like that, but each time I do it instills in me to try to ride a little safer.

First time we ever put gas into our girl at a gas station post restoration, my Daughter was on the back and she decided to get off on the right side. I only had my feet planted and she stood right up with all weight on the passenger foot rest. Over we went right into the gas pump. :oops:

A few months later, my Wife decides to do the same thing just as I stopped the bike...........over we go.......slow motion..............real slow..... :oops:

THEN, after a nice fall ride to Cape May, NJ, we find ourselves in the middle of, "Roar at The Shore" which is a bikers weekend down the shore. Harley's everywhere!! We find a nice spot to park and back the bike in against a curb. The street has a crown on it, but I am OK with that since the front wheel is facing the crown. Later on, we load up to head out, weather got a bit nippy and the engine is cold. I have the choke on and decide not to wait for it to warm up completely. We start to pull out and she stalls halfway up the crown while I have the wheel turning left to go down the street. Down......down....we go.............JUST AS 10 HARLEY'S COME AROUND THE CORNER! I tell them we are OK, the bike is just takin a nap!! :smilie_happy:

With our tail between our legs we just head home. Get out in front of the house, put the side stand down to let my Wife off and guess what?? The side stand is not all the way down. Slowly.........ever so slowly...........down.......down.....we go......... :oops: :head bang: :smilie_happy:

Speaking of passengers and bike going down....my son and I are on a poker run. If you don't know, a poker run is a ride with a designated route and at each check point you draw a card. At the end they award prizes for best hands.
Anyway, so my son and I used to ride 2 up a lot before he discovered girls and got a license. Lots of good times we had.
He liked to hit the start button to start the bike. The engine I had in it had the sticky neutral switch so the starter spun while in gear, I would pull in the clutch to start it but this time I turned the key on and before I pulled the clutch, he hit the start button.
Me standing on the left, him standing on the right, the bike went down. Yep....of course there were a bunch of Harley riders nearby. Embarrassing. They were nice though. Came over and helped us right it. Probably because I had my young son with me, bet I would have been ripped if I was alone :smilie_happy:

Not napping, but knocked out.

Last May I completed an 880 mile tour with a friend, camping around Southern Arizona and working our way up eastern Arizona and into New Mexico. Rode the '97 Valkyrie. Six days, lots of stories, lots of fun. We ended up at 9000 feet at one point near Alpine/Hanagon Meadow before moving back down onto the Mogollon Rim and nearer to home.

Sixty miles from home, we were riding into a patch of bad weather - first time really getting wet the entire trip. I had no idea how bad the weather really was. Just past the summit of a large ridgeline, it began to rain - then to pour - then to hail pea-sized - then MARBLE-sized. Before I knew what was happening, I realized there was one to two inches accumulated on the highway! At this point, I couldn't see my buddy who was ahead (visibility was maybe 100 - 200 yards). Folks, it got bad quick. Anyway, I started easing over to the shoulder to stop, but the bike literally began moving crabwise (sideways) and I lost 95% of all control. Enough that when the bike wanted to keep going off onto the shoulder, all I could do was try and remain upright. I did until the last minute when I bailed and dumped the bike to the left to avoid a wash. Hail was pounding on my helmet and rain was dumping. Holy moly. My foot was trapped under the bike. Guy stopped and helped me get out. Turns out, he was a AAA worker (off duty) with his wife in their Jeep.

My lucky day.

Long story short, with his help (and my buddy who hiked up several hundred yards from below) we got the bike back up onto the road. (Valkyrie's are heavy). Other than a couple of minor scratches on the crash bar and about an acre of grass hanging off the left side of the bike, both the bike and me were none the worse for wear. Amazing. The storm was brief and we made the last 60 miles without incident.

Moral? If weather looks bad, it probably is. I'd have been better off sitting at the top getting soaked than going through that crap. You never know about hail. The pic below was taken by the guy's wife. I'm on the left. You can still see some of the hail on the ground just before we pulled it out.

Attachments

• IMG_2878.JPG
    IMG_2878.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 149
I think its hailed here twice in my life that i can recall... central alabama

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Latest posts