need some harley help

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok ...have a friend ...that had a 82 harley 1000 sporyer type bike....he done a great job restoring motor ...runs great ....problem is its not charging battery ....so i look at it ...and wiring pic....seems it has a genetator....voltage regulator up front of motor ......bike seems to run ....once jumped off the genetator ...but not charge ....its missing genetator light....and it seems to run off a leg of genetator ....dose the light hwve to be there.to charge?......generator is new....voltage reg is old.....other generator wires look to be hooked up right and looks good .....im either thinking voltageregulator or bad battery ...but i have no harley skills ....seems to be a very simple wiring deal ss compaired to oldwing so im lost LOL...to simple... : :shock:

Don't know about Harleys but airhead BMWs had the charging system run through the alternator idiot light. The old Harley generator/regulator are kind of old school automotive...i remember something about having to somehow "flash" the regulator to get it to start charging...don't remember how

Let's see if I can help....
My buddy bought an '89 Harley that wasn't charging.
On the FRONT of the engine is a small rubber boot with
a pair of wires that plug in under the boot. Those are
the wires to the alternator. We found his wires to be
loose and covered in dirt that was kicked up by
the front wheel. We cleaned up his connector
and plugged it back in and ZINGO! It's charging just fine.
Try that, Joe.
Good luck.

Oc,gen bike,no alternator.joe,doesnt need the gen lite.these bikes are stupid simple.take the gen off and put 12 volts to the terminals,hot on one and neg on the other,if its good it will spin.these gens hardly ever go bad.usually its the reg or the wiring

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

If you need anymore help joe,just holler

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=174421#p174421:25z69d12 said:
joedrum » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:57 am[/url]":25z69d12]
so basicly touching possitivr battery post ..to armiture generator post ...polarizes charging system ?
I don't recall the exact procedure but something like that had to be done each time the generator was disconnected from the battery.

I think that is correct,just remember,its a momentary touch

Latest posts