need your input on toolkits.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdegase

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
thanks for taking a look at this post. hopefully you can help me.
I'v owned my 83' GL1100 for just over a year now, and never got a toolkit with the bike.
I have lots of tools, but I'm lacking in goldwing experience.
I was hoping some of you more seasoned GW riders could help me put together a toolkit that will get me outta most roadside fixes.

post whats in your toolkit.
maybe we can get this into a sticky!

Thanks,
Jim

I dont have the original tool kit either.
I have a small duffel bag I carry on longer trip, local I carry no tools usually.
In it I have
metric wrenches and sockets of every size,
a couple flat blade and phillips screw drivers,
a flashlight
and various other junk I've collected that needs to be cleaned out.

What I find I use most is
an 8MM, 10MM, and phillips.

fastmover83":2rls17n9 said:
There's a tool kit inventory list in the original owners manuel,
Thanks fastmover83
heres the image from the manual.
I'm sure a bit of tape, and some connectors might help.
anything else?
cliph.jpg

I dont have the tool kit that came with my bike but i have a Aspencade tool kit that belonged to my grandfather

I usually dont carry tools with me since i have AAA, Free towing up to 100 miles :mrgreen:

fastmover83":2eut27qa said:
You had better make sure the towing company is equipped to and experienced with hauling motorcycles, most aren't.

They have a special dolly which they use with a flat bed to tow a bike

I have a 10-in-1 screwdriver, the metric combination wrenches, fuses, electrical tape,short section of fuel line, roll of Magic Tape (can be used for electrical repairs as well as patching rubber hoses), a digital multi-meter and air pressure gauge. I haven't personally haven't had to use them on my bike while on a road trip, but I have ridden at the end of the pack and have helped many fellow souls riding vintage bikes that would have had to resort to a tow otherwise.

Rachet and 18 mm deep socket for the plugs.. I have a rachet that is on the end of an adjustable wrench.. two for one space... and a metric 8 socket dogbone these do not fit the standard bag but will ride in the bag or trunk.. oh and an emergency silver blanket.. use it for under the working area... I seem to always drop small things then need to look for em..

scdmarx":ry2fgjwd said:
I highly recommend a can of Fix-A-Flat and a tire plug kit.

ME TOO!
We found out this weekend how important that can be.

A mini compressor wouldn't hurt either.

Its one of those Murphy's things.

The more you carry the less you'll need. :nea:

But it impresses the heck outta people when you pull just the right nut or bolt or washer or fuse or cotter pin or ....
out of you tool bag.

Gord :grin:

great guys...
there's some great suggestions here..
my bike was in parts when I bought it.. so tools are important to me.
I do have a contingency plan that involves a creditcard and towing... but only if I cant get it done myself.

I know this might not be considered a "tool" but I think a spare $20 tucked into the toolbag somewhere might be a good idea.
some of the suggestions are common at gas and go stations around here... like the tire plug kit.. and a fix-a-flat can.

knowing my battery was a bit old, I took the jumper pack on a ride with us last year :D
and I needed it. got stuck behind a wreck on the highway, and of course the battery wouldn't start the bike after a short idle time, and a 45min wait along side the road for the wreck to get cleared....
but everyone was surprised to see me pull out the cables and fire it right up :)
but I would have been SOL if I had a flat...

keep the ideas comming guys ..
Thanks

Latest posts