new clutch 83 interstate?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelwrench

Reaction score
:shock: Am getting ready to redo clutch mine slipping 100,000 miles + not sure if it has ever been changed but it is time any advice which disc's are good and which are not have used barnet in my old triump and was pleased but not sure with goldwing thinking about replacing spring's also is oem best? not sure what to do but I do know I only want to do it one time please give me your feedback thanks rebelwrench :beer:

i heard about someone who changed springs and went back to stock. to hard to operate and he was doing a drag bike build. i havnt done mine either but its no picnic. seems like the whole rearend would have to come off to get at everything.

I havnt done the job either... Maybe Dan has... But what i can do it Welcome you to the forum :mrgreen: :salute:

By this time tomorrow im sure someone will let you in on some advise

I've been in the clutch on my '83 and 2 other engines.
It's not a fun job in frame especially without a lift laying on the floor to do it.

I like an easy smooth clutch, which the '83 has comparable to the '84 hydraulic.
The '81 engine had heavy duty springs which I put in my '83 and didnt like it so I put the stock springs back.

My advise with doing the clutch is tear it down first with the engine in the frame. Pulling the rear wheel helps loads to open up space and visibility.
Once the clutch plates are out inspect the basket. If there's scoring or any grooves the basket should be replaced, not common.
Measure the springs. If within spec put em back in.

Any of the name brand clutches are good. I wouldn't buy them from JC Whitney because I don't trust their quality.

After doing the clutch especially with that many miles the oil pickup screen should be cleaned.

I was able to do mine in the bike without removing the rear tire.
Wasnt easy,but getting the cover of is the hardest part.

I dont remember the brand I used,ebc maybe,but I do know the dampener plate in the middle was my problem,and I would not tear another one apart without replacing that.

Got it done works great thankx for the info went with honda plates & springs figure if they lasted that long should get 200,000 miles hope for the best anyway. your friend rebelwrench..