New from Philly

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[i]

Reaction score
Just rescued a 78 GL1000 from a local barn, not sure how many years it's been sitting like this...

GL1000_zps6f38a483.jpg

78GL1000_zpse2346587.jpg

Hoping to get it running someday.

Any recommendations for tires?

anyone gone to (darkside) car tire on the rear wheel for GL 1000?

Also looking into single carb conversion, any drawbacks in engine performance with sige carb?

It's gotta start easier with single carb, right?

Welcome from Oz. have a look at what Steve has done to get two bikes running for my trip in August
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=5340
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=5755
I recommend the Shinko 230s from American Moto Tire I have fitted them to both bikes and the price is great.

I forgot the single carby question. You will not beat the performance of the original carbs if you build the correctly. There are stacks of people that recommend the single carb conversion but you will always have a compromise. Honda would of done the same as Subaru if it was a better alternative I believe and just not a cost savings.

Howdy and welcome to CGW. Although they sometimes appear to be beyond hope, even after sitting for years they seem to beg to run again. Just plan to spend a lot of hours cleaning and refreshing the critical systems,( ignition -carburetion-cooling) needed to hear the engine run first and if that's ok ,go from there.

When everything is at least close to tuned, these engines start with just a flick of the button.
I would toy around with a single carb if one dropped in my lap but almost every one I've read about say they either have running problems or reduced power though WindnWing here has a single setup he's been very happy with.

I'm a bit aways from the bridges... I'm near Valley Forge, in the horse farm country, some great riding roads out of the city traffic.

So, anyone running a car tire for the rear wheel?

I ran car tire on my Burgman 650, $65 snow/ice tire lasted over 40k mi. with about 50% two-up riding.

IMG_3962.jpg

IMG_3972.jpg

Welcome from Southern California! Looks like you got yourself quite a project there! I prefer stock carbs when they're done right, but that's just me. I'd love to experiment with different setups...

Enjoy the new toy!

Nope no car tires on my bikes. At least for now. I think one of the guys did a conversion to car tire but had the wheel modified so the bead matched the car tire.

+1 for me. Hang the mileage I just want to know that my bike handles and stops as well as it can. That said I can not seem to get enough miles/ks on my bike per year so if the mileage was too good I would forever be riding on old tires! :moped:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84209#p84209:2zf3r5sh said:
Ansimp » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:47 pm[/url]":2zf3r5sh]+1 for me. Hang the mileage I just want to know that my bike handles and stops as well as it can. That said I can not seem to get enough miles/ks on my bike per year so if the mileage was too good I would forever be riding on old tires! :moped:

You'd never know how well it handles/stops until you've tried it.

Just like any tire, take some miles to get used to; once you learned how it rides, all the rest is up to the rider.

In actuality, a car tire on the rear wheel will always have larger contact patch than a regular moto tire..
even when leaned during cornering.

Haven't seen too many on the GP track but you are right until you try it you can never really know. I do know that I ride reasonably hard and I still can't wear the elephants trunks off my Metzler RoadTecs. I have ridden my bikes on the tires that they came with (Bridgestone, Pirelli and Michelin) and because of the way they handled and unknown history I have fitted the Metzlers ( originally on a mates advice that has been running them for years). I do abuse my tires as evidenced in my post on the dreaded driveway.

Is that a radial car tire?
It has a more rounded profile than others I've seen running on a bike. A tire like that I would go for. So many talking about improved handling and higher mileage, I gotta think their not just talking out their ass.

I just posted some more tire information on my thread about tires which I think is worth looking at.

Here in Oz if you have an accident with incorrect equipment fitted to your vehicle you could be prosecuted by the law and more than likely your insurance company would not cover you...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84339#p84339:74m8ei2d said:
dan filipi » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:17 am[/url]":74m8ei2d]Is that a radial car tire?
It has a more rounded profile than others I've seen running on a bike. A tire like that I would go for. So many talking about improved handling and higher mileage, I gotta think their not just talking out their ass.

Car tires on rear wheel of motorcycles is not for everyone, just as motorcycling in general is not for everyone. If someone is confident about their riding skills, one can ride anything with 2-wheels.

Yes, it was a radial tire, with winter ice/snow compound than is softer than regular street compound.
Tread pattern is directional and deeper profile than regular car tire. Taking corners took some getting used to, just as any new tire would; once you learn how it behaves, the rest is just practice.

Ride quality is superb for two-up highway riding, even at triple digit speeds.
Fuel mileage is similar to omoto tire, but with a slightly taller tire profile, the speedometer is more accurate (closer to GPS reading, usually speedo reads 8-10% higher speed than GPS reading).

Tire wear is the real bonus, regular replacement moto tire for Burgman 650 is about $95-$145 per tire and last 4-6k mi., depending how much two-up riding I do.
With the $65 Pirelli winter snow/ice tire, it lasted well beyond 40k mi. with 50% two-up riding... until I sold the scoot.