New from Wyoming

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got it back with some new tires. Had my more experienced friend ride it back for me to diagnose it and see how hit rides out. Says it runs great, shifts great, handles like a tank (he rides a VT1100 :mrgreen: ) stops smoothly and was a steal for 800 bucks :cool:

Here's some more pics:

ri_r9-VJwJksXoVvo6WFZJjADJsBe4D6oAIMH43MEro%2CEJtO4MFuc4c5gbO6X5isnx0DB7U05rK1PKdGAlch_Xk

UVWpMTH1qpxOFaizUfWclmP2HpALPOkebdGVu-K2Y9Q%2CTselR4Fe05OooX37jJeM8d8DYsSxyQGz3XtQRQjKXSc

D6jGvxX932TZ5vfhJguNVeUthDRoHam3PBAKrjv7rUc%2CnEdO1E8YelDhLDkjEg4rMfSRDQin2HV3CG096n5JI0I

So, a few things I discovered on my first trip:

Bike handles great, doesn't feel like a tank at all to me. A little shifting of the weight at my hips and I can get that thing to go almost anywhere I want it to. Feels nimble, not even considering it's size.

The rear brake is -very- touchy. I had my foot resting on it while going down the road and couldn't figure out how the bike became such a dog seemingly instantly. Realized I was riding the rear brake and the power came back in an instant. haha.

I need to spend more time on it, as I don't quite have the clutching down on take offs... stalled it about 1/4 of them.

Not sure what the normal temp range is on this thing, but the temp gauge floated between 5 and 6 bars the whole time, which was some 60ish back road driving, plus a lot of stop and go low (30 mph or less) speed in-town driving.

The worst thing. The stator connector looked fine from the outside... no discoloration, seemed ok. Stalled the bike maneuvering between my trucks and it wouldn't crank... take the left side cover off, battery looks new, go to pull the stator plug apart... this is what I get:

o8anaWDtYsyw0t_UZyalYax0vMWJt1OG4-QfRpe-f8o

I'm going to guess my stator is toast. Is it even worth splicing back together and testing?

P.S. I'll start converting my pics to albums.

Clean off the wires and test the stator for grounded windings. If none are grounded I'd solder them up and check the output to battery while running.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155086#p155086:7qb9omw3 said:
slabghost » 5 minutes ago[/url]":7qb9omw3]
Clean off the wires and test the stator for grounded windings. If none are grounded I'd solder them up and check the output to battery while running.

How do I test them for grounded windings?

Yellow wires to stator. Use ohm meter. Check each wire to engine case. Should read infinity. Or no reading at all. Then check each wire to another. Should also read infinity. If the meter doesn't give you a reading. You should be good. Check the meter by putting the leads together. That read is exactly what you don't want.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155088#p155088:1aspflct said:
slabghost » Today, 8:42 pm[/url]":1aspflct]
Yellow wires to stator. Use ohm meter. Check each wire to engine case. Should read infinity. Or no reading at all. Then check each wire to another. Should also read infinity. If the meter doesn't give you a reading. You should be good. Check the meter by putting the leads together. That read is exactly what you don't want.

Awesome. Thanks a bunch! Hopefully I have enough non-corroded wire there to check those out. It burnt down pretty far.

Is that the only way a stator fails? by shorting to itself or the case?

There are other checks for them but results vary and it get's hard to tell what's good or bad. Pretty much yes that is the only failure. Either a part of a coil grounds to itself or another part. Insulation doesn't last forever.

Makes sense. Just hoping all of the energy got dumped into those wires, not elsewhere, but if so, oh well. just another thing!

By the way, did my temps sound normal?

About middle of the gauge to a little right is about normal. I don't have the digi gauge to compare to. As for riding the brake I sit with my right toes out on the peg or back far enough on the peg to stay off the brake. On my 1200 toes on the peg I can rest my heel on the passenger floorboard.

Stator is for sure done. Continuity between all three wires. Now it will probably go to Interstate Honda in Fort Collins to have that done, just because I don't have the space for a job that big. Quoted 1k in labor and another couple hundred in parts.

Still, not that bad off. Could have paid a few k for a "nicer" oldwing and still had the same issues.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155121#p155121:2clenugl said:
Buffalo444 » 53 minutes ago[/url]":2clenugl]
Stator is for sure done. Continuity between all three wires. Now it will probably go to Interstate Honda in Fort Collins to have that done, just because I don't have the space for a job that big. Quoted 1k in labor and another couple hundred in parts.
See my post in your stator thread and retest.