New Guy! GL1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roofus91

Reaction score
Hello all:

I am new to the forum. Just got a 1980 GL1100 this summer. 43k miles, It is Naked, Silver Fenders and Faux tank, Black

frame, plenty of chrome, and a set of drag bars on the way. It has been a fun project and I've learned alot. Just got it

Registered and Insured this week, and am going to try and get an "M" endorsment next week.

I'm here to be a part of a community and learn even more. I'll see about getting some pics up soon.

Regards,

Rob B
Colorado USA

Welcome to the CGW forums, Rob!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

thewhiterhino":ejlujdwg said:
Hi Rob,
Welcome and hi from Pueblo....
What part of the state are you in?
:party:

Hello! I'm up in Johnstown. Just South of Fort Collins and a little East of I-25.

welcome rob .... ive got a naked 1100 too it an 82 .....1100s are great bikes and the 80-81 1100 is one of the best get up and go wings honda ever made with its gearing
glad to have you on the forum....

Sweet looking bike. I'll try to post a pic here in a little bit. I don't have an "M" endorsement yet so I am
restricted to the parking lot accross the street but I can tell this thing is pretty peppy.

Here is a pic of my ride. Let me know what y'all think.
I'd like to get some spoked wheels and some fat tires for it. Not real fond of the mags.

Attachments

• silverGL1100.jpg
    silverGL1100.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 136
thats a great and clean looking bike ....i know the mags dont have a good first impression but give them a chance and you will relize how good and easy they are to take care of ....they are also the lightest wheels ..... as far as bigger tires go you will have to modify the swingarm and change wheels but for now id say just ride it for awhile

i think maybe turn signals sould be first on the list ....or maybe i didnt see them ....good looking bike you been bless with

Boy, somebody really loved this bike...looks great. What kind of calipers are on the front? I tried to zoom in on them but pic got too blurry to really see.

lew1701":3olbxqoi said:
Boy, somebody really loved this bike...looks great. What kind of calipers are on the front? I tried to zoom in on them but pic got too blurry to really see.

They are regular calipers, They just have some Show Chrome vented covers on them.
It took a little work to get it looking this way. When I got it,it was flat black. I did the paint work.
It was well taken care of by the first owner. The guy I got it from rode it almost everyday so it saw
alot of road grime. He did not mis-treat it, he just used it. So I cleaned'er up a little.

roofus91":3o6k8k7e said:
lew1701":3o6k8k7e said:

They are regular calipers, They just have some Show Chrome vented covers on them.
It took a little work to get it looking this way. When I got it,it was flat black. I did the paint work.
It was well taken care of by the first owner. The guy I got it from rode it almost everyday so it saw
alot of road grime. He did not mis-treat it, he just used it. So I cleaned'er up a little.
Painting Tips!!! Painting Tips!! We are always looking for painting tips, type of paint, sprayer....etc. Tell us how ya did it! :builder:

Painting Tips!!! Painting Tips!! We are always looking for painting tips, type of paint, sprayer....etc. Tell us how ya did it! :builder:[/quote]

Painting just requires a lot of patience.
Sand down, prime, sand, prime, spot putty for those pesky sand scratches that will not go away.
prime, wet sand, first coat of color, wet sand, second coat of color, wet sand, you get the idea. You can go as many coats as you think you need. Clear coat, wet sand clear coat, wet sand polish.
I did all the sanding by hand, no air tools or electrics.

As for equipment, any middle of the line HVLP will do with at least a middle of the line sprayer. Or a good sprayer with a beefy compressor.
On this particular project I got the paint from an autobody supply shop in rattle cans with adjustable nozzles.
They work well enough for small projects like this, it is no less expensive though. Just saves from having to have all the shop equipment at home. (I don't have a shop anymore)

If you want I can write up a detailed, step by step, tutorial and make it into a PDF for anyone to download.
I grew up in a Body and Machine shop working on cars, I learned from a very talented man. I only have a fraction of his ability.

roofus91":1qe3f1zw said:
Painting Tips!!! Painting Tips!! We are always looking for painting tips, type of paint, sprayer....etc. Tell us how ya did it! :builder:

Painting just requires a lot of patience.
Sand down, prime, sand, prime, spot putty for those pesky sand scratches that will not go away.
prime, wet sand, first coat of color, wet sand, second coat of color, wet sand, you get the idea. You can go as many coats as you think you need. Clear coat, wet sand clear coat, wet sand polish.
I did all the sanding by hand, no air tools or electrics.

As for equipment, any middle of the line HVLP will do with at least a middle of the line sprayer. Or a good sprayer with a beefy compressor.
On this particular project I got the paint from an autobody supply shop in rattle cans with adjustable nozzles.
They work well enough for small projects like this, it is no less expensive though. Just saves from having to have all the shop equipment at home. (I don't have a shop anymore)

If you want I can write up a detailed, step by step, tutorial and make it into a PDF for anyone to download.
I grew up in a Body and Machine shop working on cars, I learned from a very talented man. I only have a fraction of his ability.
[/quote]

I would love a step by step tutorial. My winter project is to repaint everything . My last paint job was rattle can and no patience and it is not holding up! I now own a HVLP and I am willing to give it another try. Could you list types of paint and time between coats?

Gerry

Latest posts