New guy here in Georgia

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I own a '77 wing and I'm fixing up a '75 wing. I let the '77 sit too long and will need to go back through the carbs. I recently picked up the '75 and it needs a lot of help. I've replaced the coils with Dodge Neon coils. New plugs and wires and I'm waiting on new plug ends. I ran a compression check and had 150 PSI in all of the holes. I have new points to install and set the timing and I'll pick up some new timing belts. I've already replaced the "Near" ape hanger bars with Super bike 2.5 inch rise bars I built a new 12 volt to 7 volt regulator for the gauges. Replaced the starter button with a push button from Radio Shack. I'm working on the front brakes. I sand blasted the battery box and painted it. Put in a new battery. Carbs are filthy but the Seafoam is working some small miracles since I got it fired up initially and added the seafoam it will rev up to redline when as before it would only rev to 5,000 rpms with a lot of lean backfires. It also idles now.

Welcome to the CGW Forums, Bert!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Sounds like quite a project!

bert it sounds like the 75 going to be a real nice bike with compression like that and i hear no mention of noise in the motor .....neon coils is somethine im looking into also on 1100s i have ......welcome from southern indiana

joedrum":38u8ohi4 said:
bert it sounds like the 75 going to be a real nice bike with compression like that and i hear no mention of noise in the motor .....neon coils is somethine im looking into also on 1100s i have ......welcome from southern indiana
The engine makes no extraneous noises.

Do yourself a favor and get some Neon coils.

Actually here are some specs and other models the coils come on so you are not limitted to only Neons.

Specs and cars to pull them from:

Primary Resistance: .051 ohms Secondary Resistance: 12K ohms
36,000 volts Inductance: 7 mH Turns Ratio: 77:1

Applicaiton:
03-05 Dodge SRT4
03-05 PT Crusier base and turbo model.
97-05 Dodge Neon
95-98 Talon base / ESI with 2.0L non turbo engine
96-99 Eclipse base, gs, rs with 2.0 non turbo engine
02-04 Mini Cooper-S

If you pick them up at a junk yard be sure to get the plug-in and say 6 plus inches of wire.
There will be three wires.
The center wire on the plug-in will be ignition positive.
The other two on either side will be the respective negatives to the points.

I plugged in the points negative wires wrong the first time and when I tried to crank it popped. It was just a matter of switching the negatives and she fired right up

Also you can open up the gap on the plugs from .028 to .035 and pick up a little more power and mileage.
When you mount the coil pack orient plug-in to the left facing the handlebars as though you were seated on the bike.
Don't be confused by the the labeling on the coil pack as to the numbering as to where the plug wires go. The bottom two go to #1 and #2
The top two go to #3 and #4

(The coil pack wire locations for the neon are different, so pay no attention to them.)

welcome from texas, i have a 75 and changed carbs and put on carbs from 81 gl1100 workds great also went to electronic ign. also am running iridium plugs and get an extra 5 mpg. tell me will the dodge neon coils work with electronic igh?

rock42":1p395fea said:
welcome from texas, i have a 75 and changed carbs and put on carbs from 81 gl1100 workds great also went to electronic ign. also am running iridium plugs and get an extra 5 mpg. tell me will the dodge neon coils work with electronic igh?
Some one else has asked that question and to tell the truth I don't know but Dyna could tell you if you give them the spec.'s I posted earlier in this thread. Also I believe it would work with the Dyna ignition. Because you don't have to use the stock resistor with the Neon coils. Check with Dyna and let everyone know.

its right there close ....but ive herd that the neon work on 1100s too without resistor if thats true there might be a problem with dyna and the neon coils ..the best thing for the dyna is the dyna coils 3ohm i am hoping neons will work on dynas too without the resistor

joedrum":2bwnmsds said:
its right there close ....but ive herd that the neon work on 1100s too without resistor if thats true there might be a problem with dyna and the neon coils ..the best thing for the dyna is the dyna coils 3ohm i am hoping neons will work on dynas too without the resistor

There is only one safe way to find out and that is by checking with Dyna themselves. Surely they would tell you straight up if you give them the spec.s

Neon coil pack:

Primary Resistance: .051 ohms Secondary Resistance: 12K ohms
36,000 volts Inductance: 7 mH Turns Ratio: 77:1