New GW fan in Illinois

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lew1701

Reaction score
Hello from west central Illinois. I have been fiddling with and riding cruisers for many years now. A few months back I accepted a '77 GL1000 in payment for a debt. I wasn't too happy with this situation at first. The bike was a real mess...there were more parts missing or scattered randomly in boxes then were actually attached to the frame. I decided to try to make the best out of a bad situation, so I decided I would fix what needed to be fixed and replace what was missing so I could sell it and hopfully recoup some of the money I loaned this guy. Well now that it is up and running I am hooked. Why didn't anyone tell me how great these things are? Found this forum just a few days ago and got some really good advise (these engines are alot different than V's). I'm glad there is a place with so many knowledgeable people who love these great bikes as much as I now do.

Looks good from here! Post some pics if you get a chance! You sure can learn a lot about these old bikes here and have a little fun while learning! :smilie_happy:

dan filipi":2alvp271 said:
Welcome Lew!

Yeah, I've done some barter deals too but none have turned out as good as yours!
Nobody was more suprised than me, I didn't think I would ever own one of these big "lunky" things. I don't think I am ready for a fully loaded one...you know, the ones equiped with a hot tub and waffle maker. :lol: I like my bikes kinda simple.

You might be surprised, but these bikes can weigh more than an 1800 with all of the fancy stuff like air conditioning, refridgerators, small dining rooms...... :smilie_happy:

These older bikes are steel frames and heavy duty. The newer wings are aluminum frames and such! My buddy has a 2006 GL1800 and my bike weighs more than his!

mcgovern61":2rb8800h said:
Looks good from here! Post some pics if you get a chance! You sure can learn a lot about these old bikes here and have a little fun while learning! :smilie_happy:
There are a few pics in my album...I'll get some more as soon as it quits raining.

Welcome to the CGW forums, lew1701!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Welcome LEW from North TEXAS DFW area... good deal there and you know your wife is correct you can't save every rusty honnda.. now maybe he can save some and he can save some, I can save some... maybe together we can :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

lew1701":1na9e32k said:
Why didn't anyone tell me how great these things are? (these engines are alot different than V's).

I ask myself this question every day. They were telling me, but I suffer from selective hearing. I guess I new too much.

Once I got used to riding around at such high rpms and not feeling the thumping and vibes, I grew into a love affair.

Your bike looks sharp! :yahoo:

Latest posts