New member and my first Goldwing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings and salutations! Great to hear you are diving right in! This forum is a veritable treasure trove of tips and info. I love the color of your wing! Oh yeah, I used to live on the left coast also, Paso Robles, Atascadero, San Luis Obispo, and Pismo Beach, then I decided I wanted to own affordable real estate and moved back to the home state, PA.... although I miss the year round riding weather!

My gosh aslatk...that is a NICE looking bike! And clean!! I like it! :salute:

paddy.shadow":57dnm5ri said:
Greetings and salutations! Great to hear you are diving right in! This forum is a veritable treasure trove of tips and info. I love the color of your wing! Oh yeah, I used to live on the left coast also, Paso Robles, Atascadero, San Luis Obispo, and Pismo Beach, then I decided I wanted to own affordable real estate and moved back to the home state, PA.... although I miss the year round riding weather!
Had to let ya know I lived in Pismo Beach, Arroyo Grande and San Luis Obispo too. That was around 20 years ago. Met my wife there and our kids were born there. Would love to live there again. Can't beat the weather. It has become pretty much unaffordable for housing.

aslatk":25qps7m1 said:
:clapping:
Good news! For the "no spark". Cleaned various connections (connected/reconnect) and tightened others. Rechecked for spark and got it. Oh no, still no start! Got that one figured out too tonight. Now a fuel problem. Removed all old fuel from tank and put in a gallon of new. Filter was okay. Checked for vacuum at inlet of fuel pump when cranking. No vacuum. Thought it might need a pump. New part cost at about $80. (cheapest) or EBAY used at about $40+. Before I think about a new pump, I figured I should take the top off pump and look at the pump diaphragm and check valves. Previous owner must of had top of pump off because I found Inlet check valve installed incorrectly. Had to removed a screw to get to the check valve to correct its installation. (Maybe I had spark all along and that I just didn't have a good ground a the plug when I checked for spark) After fixing the problem (I hoped), I cranked the engine over. IT STARTED! :good: Ran rough at first but smoothed out pretty good. Noticed a major gas leak at one carb and had to shut it down. Didn't want to. First time I heard the engine run and it sounded good. Now I figure I got dirt between the needle and seat at one carb. float. I'm gonna cross my fingers and see if I can clear it without taking the carb apart. That will be later, maybe this weekend. It's been a good night.
If it is a little crud in the seat of the float valve. Turn off the fuel and run the carbs dry then turn on the fuel. That will often wash the offending crud off and allow the needle to seat. Adding ATF or a good injector cleaner to the fuel will help also. Congrats on waking the old girl!

aslatk":x5ftjg1q said:
paddy.shadow":x5ftjg1q said:
Had to let ya know I lived in Pismo Beach, Arroyo Grande and San Luis Obispo too. That was around 20 years ago. Met my wife there and our kids were born there. Would love to live there again. Can't beat the weather. It has become pretty much unaffordable for housing.

Peculiar, I left in 1990, prolly crossed paths somewhere. I worked at Sunset Honda in San Luis Obispo.... :eek:k:

paddy.shadow":389w6iia said:
aslatk":389w6iia said:
paddy.shadow":389w6iia said:

Peculiar, I left in 1990, prolly crossed paths somewhere. I worked at Sunset Honda in San Luis Obispo.... :eek:k:

I worked at Sears Auto Center in SLO, then Vic Pace Ford in Arroyo Grande, then a small shop called San Luis Emission Controls. Now I teach Automotive at a private post secondary school in Fremont, CA. Been teaching about 17 years now, Have a 75 mile one way commute. Never thought I would commute that distance but working afternoon and evenings and carpooling helps with the drive. Not much traffic with those hours.