New member and my first Goldwing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aslatk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a good deal on a Goldwing. No spark with about 30,000 miles. Always wanted a Goldwing. Hope to diagnose the problem this weekend. Shouldn't be a problem. My first bike was a Honda S90. That was about 42 years ago. How time flies by. Glad to find this forum!

Welcome to the CGW Forums, aslatk!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
You'll find plenty of help here! :good:

dan filipi":elfs0g04 said:
No spark should be an easy deal to track down.

Welcome to the forums and post a pic in the Gallery.
I see your from Reseda? I went to Reseda High School. Graduated Summer !970. Are you an ex "Regent"? I live in Stockton, CA. now. I'm an automotive instructor in the Bay area.

carl62cycles":1ess1t9o said:
Welcome!!!!.........What year is your bike???????
1980 GL1100i. First thing I'm going to do is clean all connections (no spark). Haven't checked voltages to and from ignition components yet but ready to do so. Got a good deal on the bike and also just bought a factory service manual for about $11. plus $5 for shipping. The wiring diagrams are a blessing for sure.

Check the fuses and kill switch. Post up some pictures when you can. If you start a thread with known problems and symptoms I'm sure you'll get some help.

were here to help get the wings a flapping on this 80 wing .....these old ignition can be hard to chase as they tend to check out fine but still give problems ....as slabghost said start a thread ....1980I winter project....and post your work and outcomes as you go .....ive done several projects on this forum commenting along the way and have gotten lots of ideals and help and info placed by others in my threads that have made projects forum inspired and we all like to see another old wing back on the road :mrgreen:

:clapping:
Good news! For the "no spark". Cleaned various connections (connected/reconnect) and tightened others. Rechecked for spark and got it. Oh no, still no start! Got that one figured out too tonight. Now a fuel problem. Removed all old fuel from tank and put in a gallon of new. Filter was okay. Checked for vacuum at inlet of fuel pump when cranking. No vacuum. Thought it might need a pump. New part cost at about $80. (cheapest) or EBAY used at about $40+. Before I think about a new pump, I figured I should take the top off pump and look at the pump diaphragm and check valves. Previous owner must of had top of pump off because I found Inlet check valve installed incorrectly. Had to removed a screw to get to the check valve to correct its installation. (Maybe I had spark all along and that I just didn't have a good ground a the plug when I checked for spark) After fixing the problem (I hoped), I cranked the engine over. IT STARTED! :good: Ran rough at first but smoothed out pretty good. Noticed a major gas leak at one carb and had to shut it down. Didn't want to. First time I heard the engine run and it sounded good. Now I figure I got dirt between the needle and seat at one carb. float. I'm gonna cross my fingers and see if I can clear it without taking the carb apart. That will be later, maybe this weekend. It's been a good night.