New member Dan from New England, Hi.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Dan here from just south of Boston in Randolph MA.
I'm a new owner of a 1980 Gl1100 standard, aprox. 37k mi. obviously used but apparently not abused, in need of some tlc but that's debatable.
I've always wanted a semi-ratter that I could just ride and love, patina and all. No chrome polishing, only maintenance and riding..

I think I've found it in this bike as long as I can keep my neurosis at bay.
You see I have a tendency to neurotically try to bring bikes back to the day they left the showroom.
I've found this to be fun but after a certain point it fast becomes a lesson in frustration.
I find most classics I'm interested in for sale in about a 50% or a 5 out of 10. For me bringing a bike back to 80% is easy, it's the last 20% that seems to be where all the work is.

I'm going to try my hardest to break my curse and just appreciate this wonderful bike for what she is.

So glad I've found you all.
With your collective knowledge we will make maintaining or repairing her easier.
At this age repairs are maintenance !

Wow! Welcome aboard. I wish my 80 looked that nice. I lived up close to you as a kid. Out on lake (mattawanakee?) Not sure of the spelling. :fishin:

Welcome to the forum,Pretty decent looking bike, I certainly couldn't help myself from fixing it up..What I call a rat bike is primer,missing or miss matched parts..It looks like it is saying "fix me up, I`m not too far gone"
That seat looks comfy ..Do you know who makes it and is it as comfy as it looks?

Welcome from New Mexico. Nice looking ride. I lived on the Cape til about 10 years ago. Used to go to Randolph twice a day to pick up parts at Mail Boxes Etc. Miss the cooler weather of New England.

NEDan":1uvkib87 said:
...I'm going to try my hardest to break my curse and just appreciate this wonderful bike for what she is.

Hmmmm.....riiiight.....let us know how that works out for ya..... :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:

Welcome to the CGW Forums, Dan! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Wow thanks for all the welcomes. What a great bunch.
Yes it took just a small bit of straightening out to get her to look as she does.
The shield is a National cycle and has decent protection but it's no fairing. I might try a Slipstreamer I have that is a we bit bigger come this Fall.
The seat is a Saddlemen and although it looks comfy it is too hard for my 160lb butt. I'm thinking I might get a stock seat instead.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88612#p88612:24cko4ul said:
NEDan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:19 am[/url]":24cko4ul]The shield is a National cycle and has decent protection but it's no fairing. I might try a Slipstreamer I have that is a we bit bigger come this Fall.
Too much buffeting? I will be curious to see if the Slipstreamer performs better. In the past, I have used the Plexi-Faring II windshield and was happy with the result!

I'm pretty sure my other shield is a Slipstreamer S-00 Enterprise II
71E3nljL5-L._SL1188_.jpg

I'll report on it when I swap it over.
Right now I'm using the hardware on a Slipstreamer Hellfire that's on my Honda Ascot.
I painted the back side black to give it a fairing look.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88719#p88719:24r8kkt2 said:
joedrum » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:30 am[/url]":24r8kkt2]for yrs and yrs I rode my 79 with the enterprise shield ...it was perfect to me ...all the bike had on it and travel well 500 mile day traveling was easy to do
Thanks, That's my goal. Travel.
This will not be a show bike.
My goal is to make her a road warrior.
I seek total reliability and as much comfort as possible on a half naked wing.
So suggestions are encouraged, welcome and appreciated.