New Member From Houston

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roughrider6

Reaction score
Well folks. I just inherited a 1983 GL1100 Aspencade. My father passed away in 2009 and that was the last time it was started. It's been sitting in a shop for 6 years. My uncle (who is a top yamaha motorcycle mechanic) said the fuel pump stopped working. Well, I pulled the fuel line from the pump. No fuel drained.... Ok, maybe it's a clogged fuel filter. Pulled the fuel line from the petcock and blew through the fuel filter with no resistance.....crap. Ok, maybe it's just the petcock. Pulled the petcock off and nope. No fuel draining from the tank. crap. So here I am. I know there are issues with the bike but this is the only thing I have of my fathers. I need it to run. It is beautiful to me and I can't wait to ride down the street with it. I just have to figure out how to get the old gas out of the tank and get it cleared. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Welcome from Oz. There are plenty of write ups on pulling the rear end and then the fuel tank, just give a shout out when you have any issues :yes:

welcome to classic .. 6 yrs ..hmmm this might be a bit of work to get going ..but many oldwings are brought back... tank full of gas and it wont come out ... well you dont want it too ..sounds like the gas is toast and tank might be in bad shape like rust ... under the seat you can get at gas gauge sensor deal and take that off to have look inside tank .....

Welcome to Classics from PA! 6 years? They have come back from the brink from further back than that.

Like Joe stated, pull the fuel cap and look inside and see what that tank looks like. Then pull the seat and remove the fuel sensor and see what the pick-up tube screens look like for starters.

well, I pulled the gas tank. The tank has rust, the screens don't look good, and, well, I like to work on motorcycles :). My son and I removed everything (fairing included, we didn't see the false tank bolts were accessible with just the lower fairing removed) and three hours later we gave birth to a dirty little gas tank! I have an auxillary tank that we will try and start the bike (hopefully tomorrow!) while I figure out what to do with the Nasty One (which is what the gas tank will be called forever more). Thanks for all your help guys! I really love this forum. I found an old shop manual in the trunk that was in bad shape. The ones on here helped tremendously! Looks like we are in for an adventure! After the gas tank is fixed and the motor is running I get to delve into the Brakes! The front brake has a cylinder that the lever pushes in that is all the way in and not returning. No pressure in the brake lines. Rear rotor needs to be replaced. Pads look good. Tires are good. Man, I haven't even ridden it yet and I love this bike!

Mild acid like vinegar can sometimes clean up the tank. Lucky for you the jets in the 83 carbs can be unscrewed and cleaned.

Oops yes. Welcome to the fun. Another option is Evaporust now sold at Harbor Freight could cure the tank of cancer.

Welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

Start a new thread for each item you want help or comment on and we will be glad to Help!! :yes:

Welcome,
We're pretty close, I live in Montgomery on Lake Conroe. You'll get it figured out, chasing fuel delivery issues can be a challenge. When you get it you will be elated.