New member looking for ideas and tips...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Offkey351

Reaction score
Hi, I'm based in Warrington Cheshire UK. I am currently riding a 1984 'Wing, but it has been subject to lots of bodge ups I think, the engine and frame numbers I have discovered are not a match. I have tidied her up and tried to sell her on the dreaded but sometimes useful EBay, that produced 2 scams, 4 promises and a polite rejection against a rather nice Kawasaki 1100 Zephyr, my type of bike really.

So..... what to do next, well I have always gone for the naked bike look with at few trips into the race rep style, notably a rather good GPz900R many years ago, but always came back to Bandit and Z style bikes. With this in mind and seeing some rather good looking Standard Gold Wings, I now think that rather than sell cheaply I would like to try and find info on converting the bike to a Standard, the tank area is the biggest concern so I would like info on whether a standard tank casing will in fact fit the faired wing after fairing removal. Anybody else gone or going down this route?

Regards

Alan

Attachments

• IMG_20140815_124912.jpg
    IMG_20140815_124912.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 147
welcome to classic .... personally myself i have 1200 projects going on...... blacklander is right now doing a 1200 standard bike mod from a dresser like yours .....most of my 1200 mods are earlier yr bikes with modified 1200 motors in them to make them faster and weber carb equipped ....

84 was the last year for the standard so you may be able to find the tank from one. Not sure if 1100 will bolt up without modifying. Welcome to the fun. I'm not certain but I don't think Honda matched frame and motor numbers on these. Someone else will chime in I'm sure. Welcome to the fun.

A shelter from an 1100 will work after modifications as it's not a direct bolt on. Others have modified the 1200 shelter to remove the indents for the fairing but that requires some body work but is doable. Others have used gas tanks from other bikes, opened them up on the inside to make them just a shelter and extended the gas inlet up through the "tank".
Good luck on your project.

The 1200 Standard tank shelter will bolt right on... the problem will be finding a stock standard tank cover. They are rare and hard to find, and for that reason a lot of people use something else than stock.

Welcome to Classics!

There have been a few who have glassed the shelter openings. You could make it scoops like a Vmax. Other options besides 1100 are tanks from different bikes. Would add fuel capacity, you could probably circle the island on a thankful.

First off, thanks for all the speedy replies. Much appreciated. :thanks:
I have just had a mooch thru EBAY, lots of 1100 shelters but no 1200 standard shelters, I have a spare 1200 shelter but to be honest I have seen some of the bodywork changes and I'm not too keen on that, a bikes tank should LOOK like a bike tank with good looking curves in the right places not flat bits glued on, so I guess I have a task on my hands. meantime she's still a good bike to ride, provided I can get somebody to gimme a push off the centre stand. :smilie_happy:

Welcome to the site from across the pond in New Jersey! :clapping:

As far as the engine and frame numbers matching, they do not. Frame and engines have different serial numbers. I recently converted my '82 1100 back to Standard and I am real happy with it!

I have found out that the frame was replaced with a US import after the rust took out the RHS sub loop under the engine, it had been used as a sidecar outfit with lugs welded to the frame, I imagine the welded started the rust off inside the tubing of the frame.
I have seen a 1200 standard shelter, at least that is as described on EBAY but in the States, i'm following that one up.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136870#p136870:33an6z0e said:
Offkey351 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:42 am[/url]":33an6z0e]
I have found out that the frame was replaced with a US import after the rust took out the RHS sub loop under the engine, it had been used as a sidecar outfit with lugs welded to the frame, I imagine the welded started the rust off inside the tubing of the frame.
I have seen a 1200 standard shelter, at least that is as described on EBAY but in the States, i'm following that one up.
1200 shelter is the best option, you might keep an eye on this and other forums as well, There are allot of parts hoarders out there and since it is christmas time maybe they want to unload a shelter for some christmas money, shipping is the only downer but they are light.

I don't know the exact number of 1200 standards made, but I have heard approximately 20,000. That helps to explain why the standaard shelters are hard to find. It also explains why when you do find one, why they cost so much.