New Memeber

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmeadows123

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I've been a Harley guy forever. They're simple. I'm simple. It seemed like a good fit. I've always been interested in water cooled/shaft driven engines, so when the opportunity to get an old Goldwing came aroung I jumped on it. It is in pretty sad shape, but I'm in the process of resurrecting it. I've overhauled all three wheel brake calipers and the rear master cylinder, but I couldn't get the rear and right front to bleed. After dismantling most of the motorcycle to gain access to the brake lines, I removed the flexible portions of both front and back. They were both clogged with CRAP (Condensation, Rust, And Particulate) after using some fine wire to clear the clog and flushing with brake cleaner and reinstalling the brake lines, I was able to get them to bleed easily.

I'm in the process of converting the 4 carb system to a 1 carb system (the simple person that I am). We'll see how that works out.

In the interrum I'm trying to reduce the complexity of the wiring. I don't really need a super stereo/CB and whatever other crap is wired in the fairing, so I'm going to eliminate everything that's not needed to make it run. I'm keeping the air shocks... at least for now. However, I do need to replace the rubber boots. Anyone know what kind and how much oil the rear shocks are supposed to have in them?? I had to take the shock air compressor apart and clean it up as it as the motor was frozen.

Now, I'm in the process of cleaning and repainting some of the frame components. As soon as I get it running and confirm that I won't need to overhaul the engine (that's what I'm hoping anyway), I'll be repainting all of the plastics. I'm partial to black. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the fun. Some good single carb discussions in progress now. Read up if you like. You'll fit right in.

Welcome to the best classic Goldwings forum.

image.php

Greetings from the Sunshine State.

Live long and prosper. God bless you.

Automatic transmission fluid is used in the shocks. I can't recall just now how much in each. If the motor hasn't run in a long time it may take a little run time to get the rings loosened and seated again. A few tanks of fuel maybe. So don't condemn the motor immediately if you have low compression.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96539#p96539:26dyb3lp said:
zman » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:58 am[/url]":26dyb3lp]
Welcome to the forum. There is a video on dumping and filling the rear shocks on this forum, I had seen it but don't remember where it is.
Check the video and forum index page.