New springs for the rear struts of my 83 GL1100A?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toremitchell

Reaction score
Years ago I installed progressive springs in the front of my Aspy. Glad I did! I like 'em a lot. I sure would like to put a pair in the rear. I called the guru at Progressive and he said that there is not a spring available for the original rear struts on this 83 GL1100A. Is it possible to replace these rear springs with some new stronger springs? Maybe there is a thread or two already in the archives about this?

As I consider pulling a little trailer, and as my passengers (and I :oops: ) keep growing, I think this is going to be a need. My onboard air compressor system works great, but I am pushing these rear struts to the outer limit hauling the meat and potatoes that I sometimes put on this old beast. :whip:

Maybe it's time to upgrade to a GL1500. I test rode one yesterday. Nice! Almost too nice? :headscratch: Quiet! Almost too quiet!!

One last thought about the rear springs. A few years ago I printed out a thread with instructions for rebuilding the rear struts on a 1981 GL1100I. They were able to use the Progressive spring "Kit D" #00-1170. Is there any chance that I could use the same ones on 83 Aspy? The physical appearance of the outside of the struts are similar to the ones in the pics of this thread I am referring to. It's been a while since I researched this, but it seems like I recall someone saying that they were able to install Progressive springs in their rear struts even though they had been told otherwise. Can't trust my memory though. Maybe it's wishful thinking.

Thanks for any help!

PS: I just looked, and the aforementioned post WAS from your forum. It was a member submitted tech tutorial: AAple's Progressive Rear spring and seal install.

Hmmm I’m thinking the kit still available to replace springs and rebuild them ...maybe not though now ..been awhile since that thread and rebuild was done ...a lot of guys are replacing rear shocks with m85 air shocks from Monroe ....seems that be great for pulling a trailer ..I’ve been thinking about trying them ....there options out there with after market shocks also ...bur it seems the Monroe air shocks are the best bang for the dollar...I’m thinking two are around 150 in price

Very interesting! Do you have a link for a thread on this? Just an automotive air shock with no internal spring?

The Progressive Kit D springs ARE still available -- Amazon for around $70 for the pair. I just don't know if they would work in my struts. Should my 83 GL1100A rear struts be the same as the 81 GL1100I? Again, the basic appearance is the same.

I just read a few reviews on the Monroe MA785 shocks. One was from a Harley guy who had a welded fitting break. He obviously did not recommend them. Seems that there is some safety factor sticking with the Honda spring/air setup if I can still change the springs.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=212973#p212973:hhl89t5f said:
toremitchell » Today, 3:42 pm[/url]":hhl89t5f]
The Progressive Kit D springs ARE still available -- Amazon for around $70 for the pair. I just don't know if they would work in my struts. Should my 83 GL1100A rear struts be the same as the 81 GL1100I? Again, the basic appearance is the same.

According to online diagrams, the GL1100A and GL1100I have the same part number for the rear shock absorber assembly : 52400-MB9-781.

I got my Progressive Spring Kit and Factory Seals from BikeBandit 2 months ago to rebuild my 81 GL1100 Rear factory air shocks. View this video to see how to make your own shock compressor, the job was relatively simple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fKe5Qg ... 3618593904

Fantastic! And the video was an 83 Interstate. Looks pretty conclusive that it's the same shock used throughout the early 80's GL1100's, both Interstate and Aspencade. Great info and video! :thanks:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=212974#p212974:2wkzy1dm said:
toremitchell » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:12 pm[/url]":2wkzy1dm]
I just read a few reviews on the Monroe MA785 shocks. One was from a Harley guy who had a welded fitting break. He obviously did not recommend them. Seems that there is some safety factor sticking with the Honda spring/air setup if I can still change the springs.

A guy with an 1100 on a Facebook Goldwing page that I follow uses and recommends them. I posed the question about what would happen if you lost all air, as these do not have springs like a motorcycle shock....he said that he did have an air line come loose and lost air at speed and nothing rubbed...he said there is still a couple of inches of travel in the dampers. He also stated that they ride a bit rough. This is not a recommendation or condemnation from me...just passing along the info

I got the shocks I needed -- Progressives front and back. Had to buy them with a bike! :smilie_happy: See my new Avatar . . . And my first post in the GL1500 forum last night. :yes:

I started to type the full announcement as an entry in this post, but I decided that this constituted a NEW TOPIC for sure!

I guess this means that my sweet 83 Aspy has to go :cry: as my space in the garage is limited. But it'll be tough to see her go! She has REALLY treated me well these past ten years. :good:

Latest posts