Observations from the Darkside

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the roads I ride on have more turns than straight road. I'm curious how well a PVT would do in the mountains? I wear the sides of my tires out at almost the same rate as the center. The center does wear faster, but not by much. I average about 10k on the rear tire.

Just came off a four day bike trip around British Columbia. Did a 1600 Km loop through the mountains on my 1800 with a PVT. One of the other riders was on a Road Glide, and the other on a 650 Suzuki Savage. No issues with the twisties, even when it was wet. Last year put about 12,000 Km on the 1800 with the PVT and no issues when travelling the Pacific Northwest, Canadian or US side.

Looking to do the same for my '85 LTD. Will get a second rim because I like doing at least one advanced riding course each year, and having a PVT installed is frowned upon by courses.

Recommend a second rim to install the PVT on as I mention. If you like it, you have a spare tire for when one inconveniently decides to not retain air. Worst case is you don't like it and you put the MC tire back on. Give it a fair shake though.

Cheers

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=174832#p174832:6azlsivl said:
OldWrench » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:09 pm[/url]":6azlsivl]
Most of the roads I ride on have more turns than straight road. I'm curious how well a PVT would do in the mountains? I wear the sides of my tires out at almost the same rate as the center. The center does wear faster, but not by much. I average about 10k on the rear tire.

One of my favorite rides in the area is PA 125.

https://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/...e-Road-to-Route-125.html#sthash.gVXFZFgG.dpbs

The ride is 32 miles over/through about 12 mountains and across a lot of open farm land that has a lot of elevation changes. I've had the floorboards dragging in some of the turns.