occasional starting issues

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGmackie

Reaction score
Gents,
I'm fairly new here, been lurking for a long time and getting a lot of great info (specifically the starter rebuild!) but now it's time to draw on your experience...

I've got an '83 GL1100 Aspencade which has recently had a starting problem. With a fully charged battery and the "dogbone" fuse intact it will refuse to give power to the starter (confirmed with a test light). I can jump the starter with a test lead, but using the start button doesn't work; it just "clicks". It was only happening occasionally, but it's getting more frequent. I first thought that there was a dead battery since the bike had been in storage for a year; but it does the same thing with a freshly charged battery (which I had be load tested and proved to be good). I've been trying to track down the problem for about a week and am at a loss. What am I missing? Electronics aren't my area...

Thanks in advance,
Brent

Welcome to the CGW Forums, Brent!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Does your headlight go out when you mash the Start button? It should. The problem is most likely the starter button/switch itself. The contacts get corroded, or burnt, and it can cause a no-crank issue. Some have been successful in taking the switch apart, and cleaning the contacts. Others simply find a replacement switch.
Other, more knowledgable folks will be by soon with more ideas. :good:

My bet is on the switch but it could also be a flakey connection in the wiring harness from the solenoid to the start button.
I think the easiest way to find the problem would be to open the throttle assembly and jumper the switch when it won't start. If it cranks then it's the switch.

When I had that problem, it was the solenoid (just above the dogbone fuse) that was stuck. A quick rap with a hammer and it worked again. Ended up swapping it out with a spare from my parts bike.

Check the above suggestions first and any connections in the wiring between. Although if it does click when the start button is pushed and no power at the starter. It's probably the solenoid.

I missed the "it just clicks" part....in that case, I'd be looking at the solenoid, too... :blush:

Ok, so I spent some time after work with a beer in hand stareing at the 'ol girl thinking about everything that was posted above. Since there's no headlight for the time being, but it did click at the relay I fingured the switch was good. Finally, acting on the good advice on those who posted earlier I just hit the damn thing with a hammer and the starter cranked nice and strong.

As of right now, it ONLY clicks when the button is pushed and will only turn over when I tap it with a hammer (I actually used the end of my ratchet...) I suppose the easy fix would be to throw a ratchet handle in the tool kit and anytime I wanna start I gotta give it a "love tap", but has anyone retrofitted anything more modern? As I understand things (which I will be the first to admit that I don't) all that thing is, is a relay. Could another 30a fused relay we wired in, or do I have to buy OEM Honda?

Also, sorry for making this my first post. I could have sworn I had posted in the new members forum. I'll make sure to do that later tonight. Maybe I'll add pictures...

One of the first things you wanna do to an 1100 is get rid of the dogbone fuse.
I retrofitted a small Ford style relay and a 30 amp blade type fuse holder.
I bolted the relay to the right of the battery onto the rear wheel splash guard.

Original or one that's very close to it can still be had at a good price if that's they way you want to go.

I was having trouble with my starter push button and the kill switch recently. Last weekend I broke down and took it apart and cleaned it. Good lord, the amount of crap in there was amazing. Obviously, I was the first person to see those parts since the person at the factory buttoned it up. I am surprised that it worked at all. I cleaned it up, smoothered everything in dielectric grease and put it back together and, no problems.

I had a long work week, but I was able to do a few things.

I pulled the starter relay out in an attempt to rebuild it, but that's a no-go. I read a post somewhere about rebuilding the GL1000 relay and figured I could do it with mine. Turns out to not be the case. There's a stiff copper wire soldered to the to 2 blades of the 4-pin harness which does not facilitate splitting the relay case without unsoldering it. I didn't want to go that route.

I did pull it apart as far as I could and cleaned up what I could see with some steel wool and a flat blade screwdriver. While I had everything on my workbench I cleaned up all the connectors with steelwool and some rubbing alchohol. I also took my dremel with a wirewheel to all the battery cables and connections. Now it's all fit as a fiddle, and as pure as my prom date.

Turns over everytime for now. I have every intention to replace the 30a fuse with a blade style fuse. It will be a huge inprovement over the gum wrapper that I discovered was bridging the gap when I took it all apart! That'll have to wait for another week.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

I had the same problem with my '88 wing recently. My mechanic had to take a '93 starter and use it to rebuild my '88 starter because he discovered the starter for my wing is no longer available from Honda or any 3rd party supplier. The '93 starter wouldn't work as is because it didn't have reverse on it. I find that very hard to believe because of the huge number of wings of this era out there, but he swears it's true.

Latest posts