Oh Oh

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedoo2

Reaction score
A couple of months ago I had a problem with the Gold Witch overheating. Turned out the fan was not coming on due to a thermostat sending unit. Got that fixed by by-passing it and put a manual switch on the fairing to turn it on when it warms up.

The bike got pretty hot a couple of times and it is now tapping a bit on the left side and it is smoking from that side as well. It is not oil, I can't smell anti-freeze, but then I haven't smelled anything since the 90s. The smoke is not blue and does not leave a film on my hand.

I'm assuming that the head gasket has failed on that side but thought I would run it by everyone. It is a PIA to change this but I've done it several times already on this bike. I was wanting to sell it and buy a Vette, but I have to get this figured out first. I may try to post a video in the coming days, but I'm pretty sure that everyone know what smoke from the pipes looks like.

Any oil in the coolant? Each time that I have gone thru the same scenario with mine, it started with oil in the coolant, and steaming out the right side pipe on start-up. Also never had issues until an engine overheat....not hot to the red area of the gauge, but darn close to it.

I'm going to visit the grandkids today so I am off for the weekend doing that. Next week I'll start tearing it all down and order a new head gasket and water pump. I know that the water pump that is in it is the old plastic Honda unit. It was going to be a winter project anyway because I think that the bike still gets too hot. I'll change the oil and filter and after that all should be well. If the other side starts smoking up I'll work on that. Couple hundred here, couple hundred there.

I understand the sentiment Refugee and some guys may just shake their heads at the problems I seem to have with this motorcycle. But this bike sits in my garage and every time I look at it I almost pee my pants it is so beautiful. So no matter what problem comes up I will deal with it. Pretty bikes need the attention. Gold Witch is tongue in cheek......sorta.

It danged sure is a good looking motoscooter. Worth the "extra" attention, I'd say. I'm kinda sorry to hear your intention of fixing it for an upcoming sale. You're getting all the bugs out for the next guy!

I understand the sentiment Refugee and some guys may just shake their heads at the problems I seem to have with this motorcycle. But this bike sits in my garage and every time I look at it I almost pee my pants it is so beautiful. So no matter what problem comes up I will deal with it. Pretty bikes need the attention. Gold Witch is tongue in cheek.

I started off with a bike like that, and yeah it takes a couple hundred here and a couple hundred there, but now I got this unstoppable Mofo that just wants to keep on truckin'.

I don't even want to veture a guess as to what I have in the yellow monster but it has been worth every cent. The bike puts a smile on my face every time I look at it. And you just can't beat the smiles per gallon it gets.

While you have it apart, wouldn't it be a good idea to replace the thermostatic fan switch/sender unit thingy? Do you leave the fan on manual all the time after warmup?
I know what you mean about beautiful bike, I have an '83 in the same color with only 50k miles on it that was well cared for.

Latest posts