Ok.......What will it take to get this thing going!?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
My story isn't as much a restoration as it is a customization I guess.....but there is some restoration involved if swapping engines and "just saying NO to a week stator" is restoration.

I shall return......

So the choices are replace stator or possibly build without stator. Decisions decisions. Plenty of decent used stators on ebay. New are pricey and not really any more reliable. Having one rewound with heavier wire would make it last longer and may improve output. Choice is yours.

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I have thought about the stator issue a lot. I installed an analog volt meter on my bike just to keep an eye out for if I run into problems before I end up with a dead battery. (Been there too many times, my fault though) I have noticed that the voltage stays right up at 14.6 most of the time until I come to a stop. Sit for a minute at a red light with the brake light on and the volts drop to 12.8. Push the throttle up to 1500 RPM and it goes right back up to 14.6 in seconds. Fan comes on and right back down unless I keep the throttle up to 1500. Not a biggie but does point out where the limitation is on the stator being able to produce enough juice to keep up with the demand on the bike. Mind you, I have nothing extra except the stereo.

When RPM is up, the stator has no trouble putting out up to max wattage. (Which is still only 300 watts right?) Really, the stator is only topping the battery; the battery is putting out the amps. So....what if there were a second battery on a separate circuit to handle the "other loads" for extras and charged from the stator only when RPM comes back up? Would that be enough?

If you're not sure of the stator, ya might as well put a fresh one in when the motor's out. But I'm sure you must know that already. :good:

Latest posts