Original Honda Colors - In a Rattle Can!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very seriously researching the Color Rite paints. I have sent some questions to them regarding paint color for my '82, when to apply OEM decals and which polish (and how long between polish and clear) after the clear drys. :popcorn:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=115667#p115667:1vxqih6j said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:04 am[/url]":1vxqih6j]
Very seriously researching the Color Rite paints. I have sent some questions to them regarding paint color for my '82, when to apply OEM decals and which polish (and how long between polish and clear) after the clear drys. :popcorn:
TOO LATE! :head bang: :Awe: :cheeky:

Ordered my 1982 Cosmos Black Metallic to repaint the bike (BTW, big price drop from 2014, only $33.95 per aerosol can instead of $80. per can). Today, I received an email that my money has been refunded. Color Rite no longer carries one of the ingredients to make the Cosmo Black Metallic. Apparently, even though they make urethane paints, the greenish hue in the color was lacquer based and is no longer made.

They do carry 1984 GL1200 (NH1Z) Gloss Black, but no Honda metallic. My issue is my bags and trunk are NOS with original paint and decals in excellent condition. I have new decals for the rest of the bike, but may not be able to match paint. :head bang: :crying:

Could always go old-school if you want oil - brush it on, wet sand between coats.

I have noticed with the cheap rattle can paints, I got a more durable coat on bare steel after letting it sit a few months before using it. Still, seems prone to chip.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215726#p215726:f3vf4u4m said:
Two85s » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:12 am[/url]":f3vf4u4m]
Did you try this place?
https://www.cyclecolor.com
Yes I did. :thanks:

His color charts stop at 1987 and he does not have Cosmos Black metallic.

Oh crap. I have a 1982 CB450SC Nighthawk in the same color that I am restoring, and all I need is to paint another RH Side cover to match the rest of the perfect original paint, in that exact color. I even have a perfect set of replica decals for the side cover, but I guess I will never get the paint to match now. I have been looking for a matching color RH side cover for over 8 years now. For some bizzarre reason, there are dozens of LH side covers available for the whole year range from 82-86, in every color, at times. But there never, ever seems to be a RH cover of any year or color, period. This has to be some sort of conspiracy, lol!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215773#p215773:1l8qu5e9 said:
GTC@MSAC » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:23 pm[/url]":1l8qu5e9]
Oh crap. I have a 1982 CB450SC Nighthawk in the same color that I am restoring, and all I need is to paint another RH Side cover to match the rest of the perfect original paint, in that exact color. I even have a perfect set of replica decals for the side cover, but I guess I will never get the paint to match now. I have been looking for a matching color RH side cover for over 8 years now. For some bizzarre reason, there are dozens of LH side covers available for the whole year range from 82-86, in every color, at times. But there never, ever seems to be a RH cover of any year or color, period. This has to be some sort of conspiracy, lol!
I know your pain! I have decided to go with the Duplicolor Black Metallic. It may not have that been of green hue in it, but the metallic flake is very close to the rest of the bags that have original paint.

image.php

I used to used Duplicolor back in the 1980's when it came in 12Oz cans and had color-matched metal tops, and I imay even still have a can or two,lol! I repainted a whole CB350-F with the metallic black, and I may still have a partial can left that works, surprisingly enough.

Latest posts