Passanger Foot Rest Tip

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GILLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I encountered a problem with the foot rest for the wife. The foot rest where missing the rubber
part that sits on the top giving it traction.
So I came up with the following. Material needed:
Paint, sand, paint brush, masking tape.
0814111549a.jpg

What I ended up doing first was siffting the sand to get it smaller. Taped off the foot rest, and gave it a coat of Rust-oleum Paint.
Right after the paint is down, sprinkle the sand onto the wet paint. (don't put on to much) Just enough to give it some texture.
After about an hour or so, remove the tape and let it dry overnight.
Know she has the foot rest that have some traction when they get wet.
Hopes this helps

Attachments

• 0814111614.jpg
    0814111614.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 268
  • 0804111150.jpg
    0804111150.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 267
  • 0814111554.jpg
    0814111554.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 266
  • 0814111559.jpg
    0814111559.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 266
  • 0814111722a.jpg
    0814111722a.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 265
Ahhhhh.....non-skid paint. We do this on boats all of the time! Another tip if you decide to do this....use play sand available at any home center (if you don't have sand around your house). If you want the non-skid to last, be sure to prep the footrest real well by scuffing first and then a good primer. Let the primer dry and put your first coat of paint on top and drop the sand onto the paint as shown above. The additional step we use is, after the paint is dry, add another layer of paint to seal the sand into the paint....otherwise, the friction will cause the sand to work it's way out of the single layer of paint pretty quick.

Another option is to glue new rubber to the footrest? My girls have complained about the vibration from the floorboard foot rests making their feet tingle and we changed back to the thick footpegs and they like them better.

scdmarx":31ks09io said:
Cool tip!

Hey, you could do that to the seat to keep her from sliding off! :smilie_happy: :ahem:

tried that, wifey complained about the friction, but then she was happy with her baby smooth bottom :hihihi:

Another suggestion, if you wanted to go this route, is to get some of the stairway tape. It is adhesive-backed sandpaper, basically, that is put on outdoor, or painted wood & steel steps. Comes in different colors, too. :eek:k:

you can also cut some old car tire from a junk yard and cut it to fit them glue it in . or some of that rubber matting tey sell for shops and kitchens.