PREV POST....MY BIKES A 82 1100 ASPENCADE

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome aboard. Yes there are some performance mods you can do. Early cams and carbs wake the 1100s nicely. As for exhaust. Some have installed Harley mufflers and others have built complete custom exhaust systems. All depends on your desire, skill level and how much you are willing to spend in both time and money.

I use an Aspencade 1983 GL1100AD myself and have fitted cams from a 1975 GL1000. They fit straight in BUT if you are using the standard ignition setup you will have to remove the end off the left hand cam ( that holds the auto-advance unit on the 1000 ) or do what I did and fit the ignition unit in its entirety from the 1000 engine , which bolts on the end of the head where the 1100 has a chrome cover. I had to fiddle a little with the ignition timing , retarded it a couple of degrees , in order to make the bike run properly. The bike shows an increase in pulling power during the midrange , where I needed it most. Have no real idea if there is a real increase in top speed as I have NO interest in outright performance.

Attachments

• Wing Head.jpg
    Wing Head.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 147
Apart from the gearing being different ( 83 has higher ratios than 82 ) and the 83 has a digital display similar to the 1200 the engines are similar enough to do the same tuning mods that I have done.

Hope this helps.