Preventative maintenance '91 1500 ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TourNut

Reaction score
This winter , I am going into my '91 to replace vacuum hoses, tires and possibly carb stuff to continue it's reliability in the years to come. It only has 34K+ miles on a bike that is almost 23 years old . Stu Oltman at GWRRA recommended replacing the vacuum hoses from the intake manifolds that crack open around 20 years.

Is there a list of other things that typically go bad with age in the carburetor system ?

I've already done the Sub-Air filter - ( it was about to crumble ). Somebody said there is a small filter for the cruise control but I don't know where that is located ? The 'Wing is still running great at the moment , I want it to continue but I don't want to screw up a good thing either. I was thinking of inspecting and cleaning the float bowls and replace the bowl gaskets. Also the rubber main vacuum pistons ( that flex & move the most ) & accelerator pump rubber diaphragms ?

Engine wise I know very little about the 1500 but I would look at the owners manual to get an idea what needs to be serviced.
At least on the 1100 and 1200's, Honda used real good quality rubber in the carbs.
As far as they go in the 1500, I'd leave them alone, replacing only what is known to go bad like you say the vacuum hoses.

The bike otherwise......
Change all fluids, flush brake lines, lube final drive splines.

Hi TourNut,we recently started including the 1500s here at CGW. We do have members with 1500s and they will be along before long. I myself only just got my 93 a few wonderful months ago. That to-do list kinda made me flinch. I'm of the opinion if it aint broke don't fix it. Fluids, filters and belts of course, but tearing into a fine running machine to replace much of what you mentioned seems excessive.

Then again you may have skills I can only dream of, and the things you listed are child's play to you.

Could you document some of what you do with pictures for our new 1500 tech section please?

~O~

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103362#p103362:nehxw2dp said:
detdrbuzzard » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:26 pm[/url]":nehxw2dp]
change out the #3 relay under the left side cover and change all the fuses. clean all switches on the handlebars. drain the crank case breather lines
News to me, could you explain(the #3 relay)?

~O~

As stated above I wouldn't mess with the fuel system unless you have leaks or problems. when replacing the rear tire be sure to grease the drive gears. One of the most overlooked PM services is flushing the brake fluid and of course checking your brake pads and rotors. Be sure to replace the timing belts or at least inspect them. Get the service manual and follow it closely.

...Hello, after reading your post, i have rebuilt some 1500 carbs, but they needed it. IF your bike is running good and starting good, and still getting good gas milage, i would not dip into the carbs just yet, you could create more that you want at this point.(wait until a problem shows up on the carbs). IF your chainging vaccum lines, i would recommend that you change the ones under the carb also, there usually covered with a flap that goes around the bottom of the carb but you will probably have to remove the carb to do this. There are a couple that make a good 90 degree turn ,and there bad about cracking. If you have not replaced the timing belts or had it done and they are over 5 years old...i would change them...regardless of miles. They go thur extreme temperature change yearly, so they get dry and crack too. I would just Run some cleaner thur the gas..like sea foam a couple of tanks, change out all fluids, and check the brake pads and rotors like the other guys have mentioned and clean, replace the timing betls-?-, check all the filters and clean, check your output on your charging system..this is just a mental thing....but sometimes you do find other problems..I would also consider changing out the clutch slave cylinder kit, if it has never been done, these do go out too like the brake cylinder kits, it just saves alot of down time later,,,,espically when it's warm..and everybody is ready to go... :moped: Have a nice day.

How much Sea-Foam in a tankful do you recommend ? Also : ( I have replaced the timing belts this year . I always have slathered on the moly grease on my rear wheel splines so I should still be in great shape with them although I will put more on with this tire change of course.) I am still wondering about where the cruise control air filter location is ? Thanks all for the replies.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103364#p103364:3nqyjp8z said:
Omega Man » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:31 pm[/url]":3nqyjp8z]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103362#p103362:3nqyjp8z said:
detdrbuzzard » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:26 pm[/url]":3nqyjp8z]
change out the #3 relay under the left side cover and change all the fuses. clean all switches on the handlebars. drain the crank case breather lines
News to me, could you explain(the #3 relay)?

~O~
its the one i posted about going bad and half the lights on my wing not working including the head light

if you don't know how old the timing belts are i would change them. i replaced mine at 70,000 miles and looks wise there is very little difference between the old belts and the new belts. i put a half a can of seafoam in with a full tank of gas, you are in G-rap and its getting about timeto put the wing in hibernation, seafoam works as a fuel stalilizer also