Putting bike on center stand

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slabghost":puhf518v said:
I still haven't managed to get mine on the center stand. :head bang: :head bang:
Why not??? I only use the side stand when I am making a quick stop, otherwise I always use the center stand. Keeps that oil out of the left side and prevents the start up puff!

I think it depends on the bike. Some are certainly easier than others. Maybe the jigs they used at the factory varied. Maybe some been rolled over too fast and tweaked them. A 2x4 under the back tire and it's easy.

MrGeo":2mlw3yl9 said:
slabghost":2mlw3yl9 said:
I still haven't managed to get mine on the center stand. :head bang: :head bang:

HMMMMMMMMMMMM........... you got a center stand????? :music3:
80 & 81 both have centerstands. However neither have grab bars and both sit rather low.

I have a lot of trouble getting mine (80) on the center stand. when at hame i usually use the M/C jack. When away from hame i usually remove the junk in the trunk and saddle bags :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

It seems the older I get, the harder stuff like this becomes. :smilie_happy: I've had mine up on the stand several times, but have discovered as well that a 2x4 under the back tire helps a bunch. My bike has no grab rail, but using the crash bar in front of the saddlebag suffices. This bike goes up on the stand much easier than my old 750K did. Still, with any bike this size I reccomend investing in a hyraulic bike lift. I got mine at Menard's for less than 100 bucks...Sears has them, and Harbor freight has several choices for less than 100.

My 2 vids getting 'er up on the stand.

Both are with zero air in the shocks and forks.

Using grab bar:

[flv]https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/vids/DansUpOnCenterStandUsingGrabBar.flv[/flv]

Using Crash bar: (My back hurts now)

[flv]https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/vids/DansUpOnCenterStandUsingCrashBar.flv[/flv]

Doing it in sandals, you are a brave man..my crash bar sits higher than yours so its the only option I have for a grab...If I handn't removed the luggage rack my trunk sat on, that might also be an option for a hold further back....I will be putting the rack back on as soon as I find a backrest that will slide into it.

"I live with fear daily; sometimes she lets me go fishing and ride my bike!"

ROFL!

Doing it in sandals, you are a brave man.

Yeah I tried it first with slippers, that vid was quickly deleted.

My back hurts watching the second one! :smilie_happy:

I just grab under the seat to help lift...but the again, mine was a standard and does not have the same rack and bars as the other models.

The crash bars are different on the 85 model, I will try the other way it probably is better, me being new at this an all, I shd keep quiet and learn. Old person hard to learn new things. THX Dan. GEO :music3:

At 5' 7", The saddle bag guard bar is the right height for me however, I would invariably have my little finger pinched between the curvature of the bar and bag. The trick I found was to place my index finger under the helment lock and only three fingers in the bar. no more pinch and I have no problem raising her to the center stand. :music:

Yes, it can be that easy, depending on the surface on which you are puting the bike up, or down. I found I couldn't get mine off the stand when I showed it at wing ding Knoxville. It took 3 other people to help get it off the stand. So, depending on the surface.
I'm sure with practice, it will be easier to shift the weight when puting it on the stand. I was figuring on cutting the legs down a bit to make it easier, and then if I do need the tires free wheeling, I could always park over a peice of 3/4 plywood for cleaning the rims or whatever.
I don't mind using the center stand on my LTD but it doesn't get any easier eiither and I almost always have to do a good bit of rocking. Yes, when the wings a rockin' I don't mind to come a knockin' for some assistance. The ole girl's a heffer!