putting together my 78 wing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chief771

Reaction score
Soon I will be putting the carbs back on the wing and getting the tank back in. From what I have read, putting the tank back in can be a bear. I would appreciate any suggestions. Also if somebody could post a picture of the top of the gl1000 from the top without the seat that would be helpful. Just so I have an idea of where things go. I would really appreciate it. Once I get more into the build I am sure I will have more questions. Thanks!

by the way any tips for remounting the carbs would be good too. It all seems straight forward and I am the one that took them off so at least I have an idea of what to do. Thanks again!

i always have the horns turned up so the carbs are lower and go in from the left side ...and halfway in hmmm seems air cutoff needs to come on 1000s to get in ...hook cables up and slide it the rest of way ...turn horns into place ...put in all intake bolts .....remember your just trying to seal the o ring down to head it dont take much do the bolts together ...all the way around ...then tighten horns to carbs again just sealing the rubber to the carbs ....works for me

Putting the fuel tank back in is much easier than getting it out the first time. Not certain on the 1000 but what made it really easy on my 1100 was to remove the rear master cylinder mount bolts and let the master down an inch or two. Tank practically jumped in by itself.

slabghost":unm2549x said:
Not certain on the 1000 but what made it really easy on my 1100 was to remove the rear master cylinder mount bolts and let the master down an inch or two. Tank practically jumped in by itself.

Same thing on the 1000. As soon as the rear master cylinder was off, the tank fell out for me. Getting it back in should just be a reverse. Put the tank in before you install the rear master cylinder.

Yea! Got the carburators boiled today. WOW! They came out great! I used a 4 gallon pot with two bottles of pine sol in it. Boiled for an hour then took them out and finished the cleaning and blew them ou with compressed air. Everything looks great and I put in the new parts and it is back together. It was much easier then I thought it would be. Now if the weather will cooperate maybe I can get it all back together by may. Snow storm tonight and another on Thursday and possible another one next week. Uffda. Very pleased with the carb tho. Could not have done it with out all the help. Thank you very much! I will put some pics in my gallery.

Attachments

• 0218132032.jpg
    0218132032.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 197
Pics of progress.

Attachments

• 0220132128b.jpg
    0220132128b.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 162
  • 0220132128b.jpg
    0220132128b.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 0220132128a.jpg
    0220132128a.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 165
chief771":3h2es7zj said:
...Just me and my dog and he is not saying any thing.

That YOU know of....there's no tellin what he tells all the other doggies when they get together to play poker while yer gone.....
RunninDogSmiley.gif

:smilie_happy:

You sure are getting that thing cleaned/fixed and put together quickly! I get dizzy just seeing all of the progress! :clapping: :builder:

AApple":1i2qy2ff said:
You sure are getting that thing cleaned/fixed and put together quickly! I get dizzy just seeing all of the progress! :clapping: :builder:

I was going to ask if he wanted to come and help me with mine, but I still have a couple weeks of cold weather before I can get started.

Latest posts