Rattle Can Clear coat question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyb

Reaction score
I have finished painting the side covers on my Wing and have put the first few coats on the tank. I am using Krylon Smoke Gray as the main color with a bit of black and red here and there. Now I am moving into uncertain territory with buffing and clear coat.

Should I use rattle can clear coat?

I plan to buy a cheapie buffer and buff this thing out. Should I buff the paint and then clear coat? Or should I just hand rub it after the 1500 sandpaper and then clear coat it?

Thanks,
Andy

Andy, I rattle can painted my bike and made the mistake of not clear coating correctly. I sanded between coats, but not enough and I did not allow the clear coat to dry enough between coats causing a sort of orange peel finish.

Others will be along that are better at answering your question about buffing in between. My friend who has painted autos said I could try to salvage mine by wet sanding and buffing the day lights out of it, but did not mention buffing between coats.

hey Andy, I just finished spray can painting mine too. I'm not a Painter , but I have painted a lot of things for myself. as for me and my Goldwing I'm not gonna put Any Clear over it. I have never had a lot of luck with Chear Coat. and most people don't leave their bike sitting out in the weather much anyway. .... thats just my thoughts on this...........and like I said. I'm not a Painter.

I did a tank and trunk and clear coated them with clear lacquer the base paint was enamel. It turned out nice. You can put lacquer clear coat over enamel and get away with it. But enamel over lacquer will not work. It will orange peel. Hope it helps
Tom

Wet sand it with 2000 grit paper Gently. Then buff out normally, buffing compound, polishing compound, then glaze compound.
Let it dry for several days before doing this procedure.

bladerunner":dxpoab7x said:
Wet sand it with 2000 grit paper Gently. Then buff out normally, buffing compound, polishing compound, then glaze compound.
Let it dry for several days before doing this procedure.
I will give that a shot when I do the bags. Thanks.