REMOVING STATOR PLUG

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tory

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I am changing my head gaskets.I went to reove the stator plug to access the stator bolt.

Holy crap was this thing tight!! I first rounded it off with a box end wrench,them moved on to a vise grips only to make it worse.Just as I was wondering if and why it might be a reverse thread,I didnt remember from last time I did the lifters,I difinatly dont remember tightening it this crazy much. :Awe:

I ended up using a chisel to break it loose :swoon: witch did the job.but left the plug pretty nasty.

So why did this get so tight?(Yes the stator bolt is tight) And where do I get a new plug?

When you put it back in after the last lifter adjustment, are you sure the o-ring was on it? It the o-ring is missing, the plug will mash into the threads and aluminun to aluminum is not pretty. Perhaps you used thread locker?

mcgovern61":1u1zb68r said:
When you put it back in after the last lifter adjustment, are you sure the o-ring was on it? It the o-ring is missing, the plug will mash into the threads and aluminun to aluminum is not pretty. Perhaps you used thread locker?

The rubber O-ring was still there,and no lock tight,once I got the first turn it threaded out by hand.Ill try a bit of grease on the O-ring this time.
Still need a plug

Latest posts