Restoration and Preservation '79 Too Fully Dressed

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont think there design quite right yet ...but seem to work rather well im going to make one of my own desing soon ....ive seen some rather good running set ups ...they are not going to perform as well as stock at top end ...but how many of us run that way

I honestly think there is more positive to a single carb conversion that there is negative.

I'm not sure many of the negatives aren't just guys not familiar with how to tweak mixtures not having much experience with carbs.
Carb and intake icing are another story. I'll have to do one of my own to see how I make out though here in dry air SoCal I don't think I'll have that problem.

Fortunately, I'm in Texas, and don't really care too much for the cold. I've just visited Ebay and it looks like it will cost me about the same for the manifold and carb set-up, as it would to rebuild the old. Since I'm not that much of a carb man, one little simple one seems like the path to take.

The one I'm looking at is aluminum, they say it's their upgrade from the copper, so maybe that will help eliminate the problem.

I have read a few comments that seemed to center around performance, but I'm not planning to make a racer out of it. As long as it has smooth acceleration, idles smoothly and is simple enough for a simpleton to adjust, it's a huge improvement over the old 4

What specific improvements would you make?

I plan to add large springs inside the runners of my setup to mimic the roughness of the cast intakes cars used with carbs.I'm thinking this may assist fuel atomization. Some have added a water passage to avoid possible icing. I intend to build another intake using 1" tubing for runners to see if the smaller runners perform any better or worse.

Hello & welcome from SoCal :hi: you could try a set of carbs off ebay but you might end up with one set not working that properly,I would go for a rebuid from pete's at least you'll know that your hard earn dollars were spent on making your set workable.having 2 sets of carbs that don't function right is not a happy ending.Tell us wich route you definetly went.good luck on your choice.

Welcome from Wisconsin. I'm paciently waiting to pick up my old 78 I owned from 82 to 96. Going to be interesting to see what shape its in. Good luck on your rebuild. Gotta have pictures!!

Latest posts