Resuscitation work of Fredo's bike

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A great fellow biker and brother in Christ, member of church bikers ministry, has finally decided to purchase a beautiful 1981 GL1100 lack of love. This bike was standing for 9 years in a garage, just 4 miles from the east coast of Florida. (Daytona Beach) As you can imagine the mess caused saltpeter on this bike. Fredo decided to take the risk for $ 450. Although I do not I have a vast experience (only 9 months) Oldwings, but I feel confident that I can help Fredo with the help of members of this respectable forum.

In private conversation with JoeDrum, he suggested me to open a thread so that the forum members could offer advice to restore Fredo's bike. Quickly began to undress the bike, and it was obvious the damage occurred by corrosion.

An example of this was that I found a sea shell embedded in the base of the radiator rusty base. It's the white thing you can see in the picture.

Once undressed, we removed the spark plugs (they were in excellent condition) and try to turn the engine by the crankshaft. The engine was totally FREEZE. With patience and with the help of ATF and WD-40, the engine was slowly pulling away to finally turn 360 degrees after 20 minutes of cuddling. We then we used the starter to crank the engine and for fire in the spark plugs.

So actually we have an engine cranking perfectly and fire on all 4 spark plug. Tomorrow we will continue to cleaning this beauty, and check from compression. If we got a decent compression.... what should be next step? Try to fire up the engine with fresh gasoline for few seconds just to see if she's ok?

We are planning to remove the carbs for a massive cleanup.

Thanks in advance for all your advises and positive thoughts.

Live long and prosper. God bless.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96892#p96892:l0e1x7z3 said:
Omega Man » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:44 pm[/url]":l0e1x7z3]
Your doing Gods work, awesome. I have no doubt you'll get her back on the road. :rocks:

~O~

Thanks brother. :good:

With careful patience, she will live again! You might want to at least change the oil and filter before you try starting it. If there's any contamination in the oil, you don't want it in the bearings! Try starting fluid (ether) sprayed into the carb plenum instead of gasoline.

"Evapo-Rust" works wonders on rusted parts! About $25 for a gallon at O'Riely's or Harbor Freight.

+1 for the man that breathed life into the Rats Nest after a 13 year hibernation :good:

yes well its it will be some real luck if the carbs actually do much ... but it seems your luck is somewhat good so far ... just don't get into big a hurry ..now you know fire working and motor free ... me personally id still be spinning motor with plugs out kill switch on .... using starter to spin it and using aft or what ever to keep cleaning cylinders and loosening rings up ...plug out keeps the starter from being overworked ....ive done this to a point I could tell it was spinning faster and getting loosen good ...once satisfied progress is made here then try starting it . by methods suggested

but be real ..the likelihood the carbs will go is small at this point ...so don't be disappointed if it don't ...it just means some work to do is all

Well I've seen some timing belts in pretty bad shape.
Some because the idler pulley's were frozen, others cracked and ready to break if you just looked at them cross eyed.

I wouldn't invest in belts just yet BUT before starting I'd have a look at them at the very least then while the covers are off you can easily check cam timings.

I had a otherwise runable engine but I made it not runable by starting it and not looking at the intake valves.
One right valve had rust built up on it so bad it caused the valve to stay or "hang" open when I started it and bent the valve.
This engine sat outside with the carbs and air filter on, fake tank cover on too but enough moisture got in there anyway.

So in addition to what's been said,
I'd have a look at the belts and cam timing and unbolt the carbs then loosen and twist the intakes to the side and have a look at the intakes.
Neither of these take that much work and could save some headache.

good point dan dan sheesh great post I should have mention some of that stuff /...a sticky valve could really kill the whole deal .... id should have sail id take the rack off so I could clean everywhere I could get at ... banging on valve springs with rubber hanner has a way of hel p loosening of valves ... while turning cranh by hand you can actually feel where friction is and witch valve with valve covers off and plugs out clean all around the belt area good and you can feel it get looser and work directly on the valve in question with rubber hammer it dose work ive done it many times ... 1200 are little more difficult to deal with .. not the case here ...

Going slow is best, step by step with the atf first to free things up. Have you looked at the tank yet. Small flashlight in filler neck in the dark works well.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96890#p96890:12enkofg said:
Jungo » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:54 pm[/url]":12enkofg]
So actually we have an engine cranking perfectly and fire on all 4 spark plug. Tomorrow we will continue to cleaning this beauty, and check from compression. If we got a decent compression.... what should be next step? Try to fire up the engine with fresh gasoline for few seconds just to see if she's ok?

We are planning to remove the carbs for a massive cleanup.

Thanks in advance for all your advises and positive thoughts.

Live long and prosper. God bless.

Not just no but, ... well you know the rest.

Take it slow and resist the urge to fire it up just to see if it can because satisfying that urge could lead to a costly repair. Dan brought up some very good points about the pulleys and looking into the intakes. Who knows what awaits you there.

wow this is great yah id say you guys made a great gamble ..I bet it feels good ...im pretty confident jungo learned a lot on the enterprise ... to me it sounded sweet...as I heard no falts in the lower end ...if it was me ... id mix some atf in gas and run at idle with box fan blowing on it ...as it might really do some cleaning in the carbs right now .. without risking load and stuff on motor ...twist the throttle every once in awhile ....watch gauges and stuff look it it over ... it will get better or worst in both cases it good it kinda tells you whats up with the carbs ...you guys luck has been good so far keep riding the wave smartly ...... :clapping: